Mesa 7.12 Is Now Where The Fun Is At

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    That is so scary, I run a Inter Core i7 with 4 Gb of RAM and a Radeon 4870HD but Game of Thrones in 720p still lags every now and then. I have no idea why either, it's almost like it's at the disks since there is no big cpu hog (100%). But I run only SATA-disks and have no other load on them while playing.
    In windows 7 (32bit), I have no issues at all. I can even play it over my local network without an issue.
    I do get the occasional lag in 0ad but it generally runs at 10-20 FPS. Just enough to be playable but not great, hence my desire for better performance.

My specs are Athlon XP 3200+, 2GB RAM, Radeon 9550 (AGP), Kubuntu 11.04. Runs just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      That is so scary, I run a Inter Core i7 with 4 Gb of RAM and a Radeon 4870HD but Game of Thrones in 720p still lags every now and then. I have no idea why either
      If you are running Ubuntu with the default Unity you may want to try unity-2d instead to see if it makes a difference. My desktop is unusable with Unity and a Radeon HD4200.

Comment

Originally posted by tom.higgy View Post
        My specs are Athlon XP 3200+, 2GB RAM, Radeon 9550 (AGP), Kubuntu 11.04. Runs just fine.
        2003 FTW!!

Comment

As tom.higgy said, although the focus is now new hardware, I would like to see r300g improve overall. Although it is much better than before, I still face problems such as random-lockups, lagging/crashing in games such as Extreme Tux Racer and Super Tux Kart, etc (might just be my system though).

Oh and performance improvements, because everyone loves that.

Comment

OpenGL floating-point textures support if the build-time switch is supplied to enable this patented feature.
            - Many bug-fixes.

if thats Patented, im sure Redhat/Fedora will strip that out so RPMFusion will have to package it

Comment

What else would you like to see in Mesa 7.12/8.0? Share in our forums.
              On average people spend (a lot) more time watching videos than playing 3D games, so I think accelerated video playback is more important than trying to match the 3D speed of the proprietary drivers.
              Also, we should only focus on VDPAU and VA-API to get them done (a lot) faster.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                On average people spend (a lot) more time watching videos than playing 3D games, so I think accelerated video playback is more important than trying to match the 3D speed of the proprietary drivers.
                I don't expect to match the proprietary driver speed, but 75% would be nice.

And remember, implementing VDPAU on shaders is useless if your card can't run it fast enough to keep up with an HD video. That's probably not an issue for the higher-end cards, but it could be for the cheap ones.

Comment

16 links back to phoronix and 0 links to references. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    If you are running Ubuntu with the default Unity you may want to try unity-2d instead to see if it makes a difference. My desktop is unusable with Unity and a Radeon HD4200.
                    I agree, my laptop is running unity and it's quite horrible. But my desktop is running Gentoo without any 3d effects. It's really no point when running FOSS drivers. I've never quite gotten Compiz to work, I have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      +1 I guess. Now that I think about it

As tom.higgy said, although the focus is now new hardware, I would like to see r300g improve overall. Although it is much better than before, I still face problems such as random-lockups, lagging/crashing in games such as Extreme Tux Racer and Super Tux Kart, etc (might just be my system though).
                      I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but why not buy a new card? It's possible to find a modern card for $80 which will still blow your old card out of the waters. There's even a silent (fan-less) Radeon 5450 card there for $50.
                      Performance comparison of graphics cards for less than $100.
                      I think it's great that the old stuff still works in Linux (especially since a lot of people don't see any gain in switching), but is the hardware still relevant enough to support it when compared to newer hardware? I do agree that games shouldn't crash your system, but have you tried if it crashes with Catalyst drivers? Can you get a crash dump so you can send it to the devs and recreate the scenario?

Comment

Working...
                      X