Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware's Gallium3D Driver For Virtualization

Phoronix: VMware's Gallium3D Driver For Virtualization

Brought up several times in our forums and elsewhere over the past few days has been VMware's Gallium3D driver that they use for guest 3D acceleration on their proprietary virtualization platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VMWare Fusion

Anyone know if this is supported under Fusion?

Comment

This driver is for guest systems, that view only the SVGA adapter of the vmware platform (usually, Workstation). So if you have proper technology support on the host, say a decent driver with OpenGL support (see VMWare Workstation requirements to be sure), you can expect it to work with Fusion.

But I fear perf should suck a little, considering the entry-level of the Fusion platform.

Comment

Fusion uses the same virtualization engine as Workstation. It's like the VMware Player. It has the exact same speed as Workstation, even though it's freeware. The differences are only in licensing.

On another matter, I asked about this on another thread but no replies yet: any way to get this (vmwgfx+gallium) in Ubuntu 11.04 through a PPA or something?

Comment

If it's that stable, why the heck is it still in staging?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            If it's that stable, why the heck is it still in staging?
            Because other than nVidia users wanting to test Unity without dicking with their MBR, is there a use for it?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Because other than nVidia users wanting to test Unity without dicking with their MBR, is there a use for it?
              Uhm, Windows and Mac users running Linux inside VMWare? Developers testing their 3D software in many Linux Distros that they install inside VMWare?

Comment

I haven't been able to get vmwgfx to work since last September. It just refuses to enable 3d acceleration; all I can get is EXA. I get the old "Screen is not DRI capable", even using the latest from git on the latest workstation release.

No idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Uhm, Windows and Mac users running Linux inside VMWare? Developers testing their 3D software in many Linux Distros that they install inside VMWare?
                  Srsly? So TTimo is going to test his Rage Linux builds in a VM?

You do realize the idea is as crazy as this game trailer out of Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8BcndMxu44

Comment

I'm not going to watch the video, but why is the idea crazy? I do it. I run about 12 VMs here where I test my stuff. And a lot of people do the same. So how exactly is that crazy?

The crazy idea is NOT using VMs. Yeah, good luck running 12 machines instead of just one. If that's not crazy, then I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X