Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

Beyond Ubuntu 11.10 likely marking the switch from the Evolution to Thunderbird e-mail client, the Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" release is also to switch over to LightDM based upon today's UDS Budapest talk...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, why not SLiM?

Comment

I think that's a good idea. I can't find any reason to have a DM that fits your desktop suite.
      The only thing you may want to have something that matches the appearance of your desktop. That doesn't even need to use the same toolkit (you can do it with styling, I think I can do any appearance with css styling, and there are even things like oxygen-gtk).
      Of course, if you change your desktop theme, you may have to update the DM theme also.

The point is : when you're on your DM, you don't yet have your desktop session available, so your theme config is not there (multiuser ).

Comment

Thank you!

This was so much needed. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything that can be shared, should be shared between the different variants.

Thank you!

Comment

multiseat

I hope there will be multiseat support in it as they promised. (1 PC, but with multiple keyboard, mouse, vga, and screen attached to it)
          It would be cool for schools, libraries, netcaf?s, etc...
          The last time I could get multiseat X working was in Debian Sarge. GDM became such a pain in the ass in the last years.

Comment

designing a long-in theme in HTML
            A typo here: must be log-in theme.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeplus64 View Post
              Hm, why not SLiM?
              Slim is pretty featureless. I've had a bunch of problems over the years with GDM but I could never let me parents/grandparents/etc use slim because doing things like restart/shutdown are not intuitive and there is no user list.

Comment

It has a webkit frontend? Wow, that will be most useful to create awesome log-in themes . I'm going to have a go at it as soon as I can.

Comment

No multiseat, but an HTML frontend for better themes?

Comment

some people seem to disagree

Comment

Working...
                    X