Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    It seems so. Can you provite a screenshot of it rendered with Opera?
    Yup, in opera it renders fine (as well as Chrome)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Yup, in opera it renders fine (as well as Chrome)

Looks the same in ff 3.6.17

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
        Looks the same in ff 3.6.17
        I should have been more specific, in FF 4 it seems to quit loading at this point:

Another odd thing that seems to happen is that you can't seem to retrieve the site with wget in linux but you can retrieve it with wget in windows or OS X. A buddy of mine has been trying to figure out what is up with that site for the last couple of days and the issue only seems to happen on linux boxes. Wget stalls out @ 37% on linux machines.

Comment

@pingufunkybeat

I didn't say Firefox and Eclipse were GTK+ based. I said that on Linux they have a dependency on GTK+. Because of the underlying toolkit using GTK+ on Linux. There might als be a motif backend to SWT, but I don't think any Linux distro actually has it setup that way.

Also the gnome equivalent for make xconfig is make gconfig, no Qt dependencies needed.

As regard to VLC, you gotta be kidding me. This must be one of the worst media players on Linux, the GUI is absolutely atrocious and the rendering pipeline for hardware accelerated video playback is just plain stupid. Ask Kano, he will tell you

The only reason why VLC gained some sort of popularity is because people using Microsoft Windows used to have problems playing back some content distributed on the Internet with the default Windows Media Player, so they were recommended to use VLC. I don't know if this is still the case for Windows but on Linux there's no such problem, except of course for drm protected content. But VLC won't help you there.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            As regard to VLC, you gotta be kidding me. This must be one of the worst media players on Linux, the GUI is absolutely atrocious and the rendering pipeline for hardware accelerated video playback is just plain stupid. Ask Kano, he will tell you
            I disagree with the GUI comment. To me VLC offers one of the best GUI's. To me it is absolutely stupid to have to rely on config file hacking or search for an out of app panel just to tweak and adjust playback settings and configuration like you have to do in so many other linux players.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Also the gnome equivalent for make xconfig is make gconfig, no Qt dependencies needed.
              Oh, cool, didn't know that. I use oldconfig and menuconfig anyway

Can you name a better Linux multimedia player with a GUI? Smplayer is better, but also Qt-based.

Don't say Totem, because I'll laugh at you

I'm an Mplayer user for most things, but i've actually found VLC to be more reliable with DVD playback and some messed-up streams.

There is also no comparable alternative to K3b.

Comment

@deanjo

Can't access the site at all from here, geo restriction on their end maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  @deanjo

Can't access the site at all from here, geo restriction on their end maybe.
                  I don't know, it seems to be the same no matter the location. I have tried accessing the site even from some of my overseas servers and the ones in the States as well. They all seem to be the same. Like I said however other browsers work fine as does FF in OS X and Windows. It is a peculiar issue.

Comment

"The site" loads for a second for me, then hangs (the image doesn't finish loading, and anything that was not finished loading before the image stopped loading doesn't finish loading). Also, the menus on the bottom aren't aligned properly when opened.

Chromium 12.0.718.0

(P.S. I don't really care whether it's Gtk or Qt based; Gtk is fairly easy to code for, but Qt has some cool apps, Qt is/are working on some cool under-the-hood stuff, but then so is Gtk, so I think they both have their up sides)

Comment

Do you Like BEAR ?

Comment

Working...
                      X