Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Their argument is that LightDM is light on code because it can't do as much as GDM and the others, and if you removed those features from the others they would be light as well.

If that's true and that is the main difference, maybe it'd be easier to strip out, or turn off, parts of GDM if Canonical wants to dispose of certain features to achieve a faster boot time.

All I know is Natty is soooooo slooooooow in booting in comparison to Meerkat that I went back to Meerkat. Well, that plus other highly annoying problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      All I know is Natty is soooooo slooooooow in booting in comparison to Meerkat that I went back to Meerkat. Well, that plus other highly annoying problems.
      And the problem there must be gdm and only gdm, right? On my system (a Gentoo system) gdm takes nearly no time, nor does the session handling it takes, compared to the time Xorg itself takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post
        And the problem there must be gdm and only gdm, right? On my system (a Gentoo system) gdm takes nearly no time, nor does the session handling it takes, compared to the time Xorg itself takes.
        Definitely not, hence why I said "all I know is...", I have no idea if the gdm vs. lightdm argument that gdm is already slim but merely has a lot of features is true or not. Ubuntu 11.04 is definitely not slow due to gdm loading time alone, at the very least. Even loading Unity feels like it takes a much longer time in comparison to loading Gnome on 10.10.

Comment

HTML front-end? It has my vote. Designing themes for gdm (and kdm) is a PITA.

Comment

OH HELL YEAH!

I've been waiting on something lighter than GDM to come up. SLiM doesn't cut it. I've downloaded the tarball and will see if it plays nice with Xfce.

Comment

Default theme with LightDM running in Xephyr.
              http://saturn.amphigory.org/lightdm-xephyr.png

Having trouble with dbus connection, hence running it in test mode. Will try again later.

Comment

No sssd, no fingerprint, no smartcard, no session handling, and no accessibility (linux for human beings my ass...). But cool themes!

Sorry but I really fail to see the reason behind this change, unless Canonical has decided for an all-out war against Gnome, which sounds retarded, to say the least...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  No sssd, no fingerprint, no smartcard, no session handling, and no accessibility
                  [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    [citation needed]
                    https://code.launchpad.net/lightdm

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                      After they are done adding all those features, I really do wonder just how slim it will still be...

It may have been faster to simply add on HTML themeing capabilities to gdm, and help gdm become less bloated?

Duplication of effort = bad, except when totally necessary. I guess time will tell if this new code is all that it's cracked up to be over gdm!

Comment

Working...
                      X