• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Firefox 6 Should Sort Out Linux GPU Acceleration

Firefox 6 Should Sort Out Linux GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: Firefox 6 Should Sort Out Linux GPU Acceleration

Mozilla Firefox 4.0 was released in March with many new features, including GPU-based acceleration, but on the Linux side this support was disabled. The Mozilla developers found the Linux GPU driver support to be a problem, even with the open-source solutions. It looks like though by Firefox 6 the Linux GPU acceleration will be in better standing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQwOA

• ninez
    replied
    I've had decent hardware acceleration sine FF4, on any benchmarks done i get great performance. On firefox hardware acceleration tests, i always stay above 60+ FPS.

http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/

I did have to enable it manually, but hey - at least it is working well with the 'blob and my Nvidia card

i hope they bring performance up to snuff, for anyone having issues...

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    In firefox hardware accel still totally sucks for me with intel mesa drivers (i've tried the latest firefox 7 nightly as well). Enabling hardware layers acceleration rapes scrolling performance and lags tab animation. chrome dev's hardware acceleration works fine for me (besides breaking gmail)

And my drivers supposed to be whitelisted, but I still have to force layers to enable it.

Leave a comment:

• hal2k1
    replied
    Apparently, the blocker bug to prevent hardware acceleration of Firefox for Gallium3D drivers has now been fixed.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=624935

I don't have my RV515 with me to test now, but this looks like a common-code problem, which has now been resolved. It is no longer a reason to blacklist Gallium drivers in general.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    if thats the only app:

xrandr -0 2

back with

xrandr -0 0

Leave a comment:

• runeks
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    But aside from rendering everything upside down it is as fast as firefox 4 with and without in the firefox test: 14 fps.
    There's a workaround for that bug. It does require some lifting though, and - unless you have a CRT - you'll only have one hand to spare, with the other hand being used to keep the monitor from falling over.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    In the firefox 6 nightlies I still can't get the gpu acceleration working at ALL, using catalyst 11.4. Force enabling it in about config doesn't work, about support still says 0/1 for gpu acceleration.
    Starting with "MOZ_ACCELERATED=1 MOZ_GLX_IGNORE_BLACKLIST=1 firefox-nightly" I get an accelerated firefox. But aside from rendering everything upside down it is as fast as firefox 4 with and without in the firefox test: 14 fps.

Leave a comment:

• Schugy
    replied
    Next Kubuntu LTS

I hope next Kubuntu LTS release will support Firefox 5 / 6 on my Everun Note with x1250 Chipset.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's what the MOZ_GLX_IGNORE_BLACKLIST=1 environment variable already does.
    My mistake. That environment variable works for FF4 and 5. Starting with FF6, it now is a standard config setting. See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklistin...ox_6_and_newer for details.

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    Anecdotally, DirectWrite makes the fonts look like crap (technical foundry term).
    Whether DirectWrite is enabled or not, using Direct2D in Windows makes the fonts poor. It strains my eyes within seconds. In some places it noticeably increases the colour banding on fonts due to subpixel rendering, while in others the font is simply blurred ever so slightly so as to look completely wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X