No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma 3 requires OpenGL 4.1 . I will waiting for llvm release.

Comment

• Does Oibaf PPA have opengl 4.0? If not, anyway to get it working in Ubunut?

Comment

• Just installed your OpenCL package for AMD gpus and I'm unable to compile anything opencl related. Make states that cl.h is not a header that exists on my system. I'm running Ubuntu 15.04, kernel version 3.19.0-28-generic, and I am using an r9 390 Grenada PRO. I've been trying to get opencl running on my system for many frustrating weeks, and this is the closest that I've come. Here's the output of clinfo: http://pastebin.com/9sphqd9d

Comment

• Originally posted by Maratus View Post
          Just installed your OpenCL package for AMD gpus and I'm unable to compile anything opencl related. Make states that cl.h is not a header that exists on my system. I'm running Ubuntu 15.04, kernel version 3.19.0-28-generic, and I am using an r9 390 Grenada PRO. I've been trying to get opencl running on my system for many frustrating weeks, and this is the closest that I've come. Here's the output of clinfo: http://pastebin.com/9sphqd9d
          Did you install "opencl-headers" package?

Comment

• Originally posted by maxis11 View Post
            Did you install "opencl-headers" package?
            I actually just did that before checking on here after finding out about apt-file and searching for the headers. Installed the opencl headers and the dev files and now everything runs great!

Comment

• Hello there, just registered and subscribed to this ppa. This is a great idea: if the Ubuntu main guys are continuously asleep with both eyes open, and only think they have to give us yesteryear's driver support, other people will have to jump in and get things going.

However, it should be noted that installing this drivers is not for the faint of heart at all!!
              Had I used the normal way via APT, it would have uninstalled me 600 MB (!) of programs because so much stuff depends on those Mesa drivers.

Then, I had a major conflict:

Code:
              andy@andy-mybox:~$ sudo dpkg -i Downloads/libllvm3.6_3.6-2ubuntu1~trusty1_i386.deb
              Selecting previously unselected package libllvm3.6:i386.
              dpkg: regarding .../libllvm3.6_3.6-2ubuntu1~trusty1_i386.deb containing libllvm3.6:i386:
               libllvm3.6v5:i386 conflicts with libllvm3.6
                libllvm3.6:i386 (version 1:3.6-2ubuntu1~trusty1) is to be installed.
              Though I am able so solve such conflicts on my own (had to downgrade to 3.6 compiled with gcc < 5), it should at least be mentioned that llvm3.6 cannot co-exist with llvm3.6v5.
              The "v5" means that it is compiled with gcc 5.
              So I can't deny that it would be better if mesa didn't depend that extremely on LLVM stuff, because this is the only major conflict I've run in.

Last question: where is libXvMCnouveau.so in the standard (non-PPA) repos? It must be somewhere, as nouveau is shipped in standard Ubuntu, and if VDPAU fails, the user ought to be able to revert to XvMC support.
              Last edited by andyman; 27 September 2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyman View Post
                it should at least be mentioned that llvm3.6 cannot co-exist with llvm3.6v5. The "v5" means that it is compiled with gcc 5.
                There is no support for Wily yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  There is no support for Wily yet.
                  That's what you're saying But on olbaf's PPA main page, I found Wily mentioned indeed. (I may look again where exactly I read it, if need be.)

Comment

• Originally posted by andyman View Post
                    That's what you're saying But on olbaf's PPA main page, I found Wily mentioned indeed. (I may look again where exactly I read it, if need be.)
                    There is only 1 package, and seems unrelated to Mesa: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...es_filter=wily

Comment

• Granted. Would be a silly idea to argue about that longer than one minute
                      Moving on ...

As you said "Mesa": yes this is another thing I am concerned about.
                      On nouveau's official page, they say that the reason for MPlayer's most common error message (Failed to open VDPAU backend libnvidia_vdpau.so...) is because the distro-shipped versions of the Mesa driver lacked the vdpau state tracker.
                      Fair enough, but why do I still get that very same error message even though I've installed olbaf's git versions of Mesa v11?

I'm about to run out of ideas...
                      Last edited by andyman; 28 September 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X