Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by axfelix View Post
    however, there's no other way to get a new-ish mesa in 14.04; I think 10.3.1 was the version that added maximum openGL 3.3 for sandybridge, but the only way to get a "stable" 10.3.1+ in ubuntu is to update the entire system to 15.04, which I don't want to do.
    That's not quite true, I'm on 10.3.2 ("10.3.2-0ubuntu1~trusty2") just using the stable ubuntu 14.04 repository. Basically, make sure to install *mesa-lts-utopic instead of *mesa packages. New kernel is also required / suggested, install *linux-lts-utopic instead of *linux. In two months or so, when 14.04.3 is released, you can upgrade to vivid's mesa / X / kernel stack, then use *-lts-vivid packages.

Apt makes this a little difficult sometimes, complaining about pseudo conflicts. With some fiddling you can usually get it to work though. Google for Ubuntu Hardware Enablement Stack.

Comment

• Hey, thanks for that! I knew about -lts-utopic for the kernel, but not for mesa. Took a little dancing to get the oibaf ppa removed and the upstream stuff installed, but working now.

Comment

• In hindsight I think the hangs I was experiencing recently were related to my having re-enabled webgl and forgetting about it -- it's still not stable on sandybridge in linux, I guess. however, reverting to the utopic mesa package did finally fix conferencing in vidyo, which broke for me on oibaf sometime between december and february: http://www.vidyo.com/

Comment

• There is also lts-vivid mesa and kernels now... too bad they haven't enabled OpenCL.

Comment

• Hi, just to let you know that I upgraded llvm to 3.6.1.

Comment

• anyone knows how to to force core profile for minecraft? i've tried it on intel driver and it's still 3.0 compatibility profile and it ignores "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3FC MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=330" (also tried 4.0, still nope too). with ilo driver gl version override works but the version it supports is too low for games to run.
              Last edited by lybxlpsv; 12 June 2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lybxlpsv View Post
                anyone knows how to to force core profile for minecraft? i've tried it on intel driver and it's still 3.0 compatibility profile and it ignores "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3FC MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=330" (also tried 4.0, still nope too). with ilo driver gl version override works but the version it supports is too low for games to run.
                MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                  MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT ?
                  still 3.0 :/

Comment

• Trying to play Portal 2 through native Steam and getting issues with OpenGL version as well. Thinks it's not even OpenGL 2.0. Deleted a file in Portal 2 and now it says the graphics doesn't support a number of OpenGL extensions.

Comment

• Anyone running into problems using these drivers with Steam games like Portal 2 can try a fix I found with this script. Just make it and run it and the game should work. You may need to reboot but I'm not sure, but I've tested this script on two machines and Portal 2 now works.

Code:
                      #!/bin/bash
                      DIR=$HOME/.local/share/Steam/

echo "Removing libstd"
                      find $DIR -iname "libstd*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

echo "Removing libgcc"
                      find $DIR -iname "libgcc*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

echo "All Done"

Comment

Working...
                      X