Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    So I'm coming back to Linux in a bit, and I'm a bit confused as to what PPAs I should use. Basically, I want to use open-source drivers on my radeon hardware (r600 and radeonsi) and have a gallium-nine-compatible version of mesa and wine.

From what I gathered, I could use oibaf's PPA + sarnex's wine/nine PPA + sarnex's radeon DRI3 PPA together to accomplish this?
    graphics-drivers and winedri3 are just required. If you want to run nine in dri2 mode you need kernel >= 3.17 for render nodes, if you want to run in faster, experimental dri3 mode just use standard kernel but add mesadri3test ppa. If you want to test latest nine dev tree, including support for debugging problem also add this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv.../gallium-nine/

Comment

• Originally posted by deri View Post
      Since the time you upgraded your compiler into newer, my dota has started hang at every game. Can play under 10 minutes and hole pc hangs. Force reboot.

Cant play it anymore. R9 290
      I have no problem with Dota on my R7-265. Running mesa from git and llvm from apt snapshot.

BTW I have lot of curruptions (on Dota2, Valley is running fine).
      This is related to mesa or llvm?

Comment

• libvdpau 0.9

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Still TODO updating libvdpau to 0.9.
        Done!

Comment

• Originally posted by hector View Post
          I don't know what means:
          This message about spilling VGPRs seems to be some verbose/debug output from LLVM. Historicaly, LLVM lacked VGPR spilling and as far as I know, inability to spill VGPRs was known for being responsible for failures under heavy gtaphic loads (e.g. Xonotic on Ultimate settings), some OpenCL computations failures and so on.

As of 3.6 VGPR spilling has been implemented and most of such issues have gone. Yet this message somehow related to this LLVM feature. I think AMD devs have better idea if it indicates some problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            graphics-drivers and winedri3 are just required. If you want to run nine in dri2 mode you need kernel >= 3.17 for render nodes, if you want to run in faster, experimental dri3 mode just use standard kernel but add mesadri3test ppa. If you want to test latest nine dev tree, including support for debugging problem also add this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv.../gallium-nine/
            Thanks!

Is there anything else needed to use DRI3 other than just adding the PPA, updating from it, and rebooting? I only briefly played with it last night, but I thought I still saw reference to DRI2 in Xorg's log.

Comment

Thanks!

Is there anything else needed to use DRI3 other than just adding the PPA, updating from it, and rebooting? I only briefly played with it last night, but I thought I still saw reference to DRI2 in Xorg's log.
              Just read here: https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9_dri3

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                Cool, thanks again

So I wanted to try out LLVM git from Paulo's PPA with nine; but I can't seem to get it working.

According to the PPA page, I have to install libd3d9-mesa, libd3d9-mesa-dbg, and libd3d9-mesa-dev, but trying to install libd3d9-mesa-dev while libd3d9-mesa is present throws a dpkg error:

Code:
                error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libd3d9-mesa-dev_10.5~git150130162300.53b0193~padoka0_amd64.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/d3dadapter9.so', which is also in package libd3d9-mesa:amd64 10.5~git150130162300.53b0193~padoka0
                And trying to use just ibd3d9-mesa results in Wine not being able to use nine.

Comment

Cool, thanks again

So I wanted to try out LLVM git from Paulo's PPA with nine; but I can't seem to get it working.

According to the PPA page, I have to install libd3d9-mesa, libd3d9-mesa-dbg, and libd3d9-mesa-dev, but trying to install libd3d9-mesa-dev while libd3d9-mesa is present throws a dpkg error:

Code:
                  error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libd3d9-mesa-dev_10.5~git150130162300.53b0193~padoka0_amd64.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/d3dadapter9.so', which is also in package libd3d9-mesa:amd64 10.5~git150130162300.53b0193~padoka0
                  And trying to use just ibd3d9-mesa results in Wine not being able to use nine.
                  Hmm, seems sarnex's Wine build looks for the lib file in a location that differs from where Paulo's is located.

Managed to fix it with these commands, but I'm not really sure if there's a better way to handle it or not:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install libd3d9-mesa:i386
                  sudo mkdir /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d/
                  sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/d3dadapter9.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d/d3dadapter9.so.1
                  Can play GW2 around 30+ FPS, which is pretty nice I had some weird flickering issue on grass and stuff with oibaf's PPA, but with Paulo's it seems to be cleared up; maybe the LLVM update fixed something?
                  Last edited by Guest; 01 February 2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lorenzoz View Post
                    I have no problem with Dota on my R7-265. Running mesa from git and llvm from apt snapshot.

BTW I have lot of curruptions (on Dota2, Valley is running fine).
                    This is related to mesa or llvm?
                    Can confirm the corruption on a 7850 with Paulo's PPA. Lines just flicker in places.

Comment

Can confirm the corruption on a 7850 with Paulo's PPA. Lines just flicker in places.
                      It can be either llvm or gallium nine.

that's probably gallium nine though, and testing again when last serie of patches is merged to mesa git can change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X