Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gutigen View Post
    Mesa seems to be completely broken atm. First there is issue with random gpu hangs:

It makes browsing a risky affair (I will not even mention watching youtube, impossible).

Now also vdpau (for example in mplayer) instantly locks down GPU to the point where only hard reset helps, while xv also brings gpu locks, but after some time.
    I've had a few GPU hangs when using Chrome, but the driver returned shortly afterwards and I could resume browsing. This hasn't happened for a few days now though. The issue now though is that Chrome sometimes gets super choppy out of nowhere, but as of last night or so this hasn't happened (after updating graphics components). I'm on my r600 laptop currently and I'm seeing all kinds of awkward behavior with Chrome (an incognito window became totally unresponsive; un-fullscreening flash shows checkerboxes).

Not really aware of any middle-ground with the open-source graphics stack on Ubuntu. Can either use outdated components from the distro-version release (I think it's mesa 10.1?; there's noticiable text artifacting on radeonsi hardware (or at least on my 7850)), or use bleeding-edge git stuff. Would really like another option to just use the latest stable stuff (I think Arch last I checked just came with Meta 10.2.4).

Comment

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      Not really aware of any middle-ground with the open-source graphics stack on Ubuntu. Can either use outdated components from the distro-version release (I think it's mesa 10.1?; there's noticiable text artifacting on radeonsi hardware (or at least on my 7850)), or use bleeding-edge git stuff. Would really like another option to just use the latest stable stuff (I think Arch last I checked just came with Meta 10.2.4).
      This is super annoying that Ubuntu doesn't update it's drivers or at least gives us an option to chose from one shipped at release and some more recent. Atm I have to use stock drivers, cause hangs are out of control. I can't play ANY games anymore (cause either artifacts, framerate or not working at all), but at least everything else works properly.

Comment

Mesa seems to be completely broken atm. First there is issue with random gpu hangs:

It makes browsing a risky affair (I will not even mention watching youtube, impossible).

Now also vdpau (for example in mplayer) instantly locks down GPU to the point where only hard reset helps, while xv also brings gpu locks, but after some time.
        Yikes; updated my graphics stuff about an hour ago, and now I'm seeing a great deal of instability. GPU hung and didn't return the first time, but was able to do REISUB to reboot. Happened again a second time a bit later, and had to hard power it down.

This is on a 7850 also; only thing really being done graphics-wise was Chrome (beta; no overridden software rendering). Starting to finally see why it isn't a great idea to use bleeding-edge stuff on production machines

Comment

• Same on my 7870 (pitcairn)
          Flashplayer will cause instand freeze, one time raisub didnt even work.

Hat that problem a few days ago, then after I got latest versions it worked again and now with the last 2 times I upgraded it is broken.

Comment

Just updated and I'm having the same issues with my 7770

Comment

• Just tested Linux 3.16.1 (Ubuntu mainline) and 3.13.0-24 (Ubuntu 14.04) and both have the issues. Instantly freezes when attempting to watch a Youtube video through Firefox or when trying to watch a video through mpv using --vo=vdpau and I have to hard reset. Seems like everyone on that bug tracker wants it to be a kernel issue when it apparently is not >.>

Double post 'cause 5 minute edit limit.

Comment

• Both issues appear to be fixed upstream Bug 82517 (commit 6fb42ee), Bug 82428 (commit 83012b5). Bug duplicates are fun.
                Time to wait for the next successful Oibaf build.

Triple post 'cause 5 minute edit again. At least this is my last one since it's been fixed upstream

Comment

• Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  Both issues appear to be fixed upstream Bug 82517 (commit 6fb42ee), Bug 82428 (commit 83012b5). Bug duplicates are fun.
                  Time to wait for the next successful Oibaf build.

Triple post 'cause 5 minute edit again. At least this is my last one since it's been fixed upstream
                  Can confirm that I can playback video with VDPAU without locking up

Comment

• Yes, works perfect again!

Comment

• Cannot find libd3dadapter9.so. Is gallium-nine packaged in an other way?

Comment

Working...
                      X