Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool! thank you very much.

i just updated and seems to work fine so far.

Comment

• Thank you very much for adding the extras.
      It run smoothly.

Comment

• @oibaf

I'm researching radeon vram behavior for my thesis, and I'd need a wide variety of data. I have a set of patches to gather this, and it would be really helpful if they could be included in your PPA for a few months (until the end of March).

They do nothing unless the user sets the R600_DEBUG env var to the new value. There's no bug or perf risk, and I can keep them updated against master for this time. Would it be possible to include them?

The six patches can be found in this branch:
        Contribute to clbr/mesa development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

• Is sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental still required for i915 hardware? I have a Dell Latitude D610 with a 915GM graphics chip, and Lubuntu 13.10 + Kernel 3.13 (today's daily).

I tried LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/dri-alternates glxgears -info but it failed to load two different drivers (something 915 and something like swar), and glxgears was really slow, along with no direct rendering. I ran that dri-experiemental command too. glxgears on its' own works fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Hmm, on my 7660G + 7670M dual graphics laptop (with Ubuntu 13.10 + kernel 3.12 daily), I seem to have color banding. It's mostly noticeable when I open up the dash on Ubuntu.

Any ideas as what I could do to fix it? The banding doesn't exist on fglrx.
            Also inquiring about this again. Still occurring as of today with a 3.13 daily kernel.

Comment

Also inquiring about this again. Still occurring as of today with a 3.13 daily kernel.
              Report it here if you want someone to have a look and fix it:

Comment

Is sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental still required for i915 hardware? I have a Dell Latitude D610 with a 915GM graphics chip, and Lubuntu 13.10 + Kernel 3.13 (today's daily).

I tried LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/dri-alternates glxgears -info but it failed to load two different drivers (something 915 and something like swar), and glxgears was really slow, along with no direct rendering. I ran that dri-experiemental command too. glxgears on its' own works fine.
                It's hard to see what's happening here without error messages. Note that this procedure is for using the experimental i915 gallium driver, while the classic, supported one is enabled by default.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  @oibaf

I'm researching radeon vram behavior for my thesis, and I'd need a wide variety of data. I have a set of patches to gather this, and it would be really helpful if they could be included in your PPA for a few months (until the end of March).

They do nothing unless the user sets the R600_DEBUG env var to the new value. There's no bug or perf risk, and I can keep them updated against master for this time. Would it be possible to include them?

The six patches can be found in this branch:
                  https://github.com/clbr/mesa/tree/stats6
                  Hi, are these changes the same you sent on mesa-dev? I could include it if they are not intended to be merged. But can you explain how they are expected to be used? How should you obtain the needed data?

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    Hi, are these changes the same you sent on mesa-dev? I could include it if they are not intended to be merged. But can you explain how they are expected to be used? How should you obtain the needed data?
                    Yes, they went through a couple review cycles, but the conclusion was to come back later with data available.

They don't affect normal use. For tracing an app, you would do "R600_DEBUG=bostats myapp", which then outputs to a file in /tmp. This file would then need to be sent via email / dropbox / etc.

I was thinking about asking Michael to do a short news post with more details. Having the support in your ppa would lower the bar, making it very easy for people to help.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Yes, they went through a couple review cycles, but the conclusion was to come back later with data available.

They don't affect normal use. For tracing an app, you would do "R600_DEBUG=bostats myapp", which then outputs to a file in /tmp. This file would then need to be sent via email / dropbox / etc.

I was thinking about asking Michael to do a short news post with more details. Having the support in your ppa would lower the bar, making it very easy for people to help.
                      Tried on a test PPA, it breaks r300: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/16220...TOBUILD.txt.gz

Comment

Working...
                      X