No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, the problem is my use case. I’m streaming. The problem with this use case is I need H.264 because all the services and OBS only supports that.

in any case, I understand the problem. Hope you can work something out with the Launchpad team soon.

Comment

• oibaf
      So then 20.04 is effectively also EOL? How unfortunate, I was really hoping that it will be supported a little longer. Any chance to extend it for the next three months? My concern is the migration to Wayland in 22.04 which is currently especially for the older drivers like r300 and also r600 a critical thing. This will get better when the partial NIR migration is finally implemented and fully stable also for the older drivers. The corresponding devs are working on that with high priority and I think it should be done with Mesa 22.2.

Whatever, if there is too less space available for that little 20.04 extension I am willing to finance the necessary additional one. Really.

Comment

• Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
        So then 20.04 is effectively also EOL? How unfortunate, I was really hoping that it will be supported a little longer.
        Well, even though I already migrated to 22.04, I agree with this observation. A LTS release should be supported 5 years. It can be argued that the 20.04 release is only halfway through it's life at this point. In any case, hoping Launchpad woud be a good sport and give Oibaf more storage, there are repos multiple times the size of what Oibaf is using on Launchpad (Savoury1 comes to mind).

EDIT: oibaf I was looking through your answers on Launchpad and found this: https://answers.launchpad.net/launch...uestion/212854

Looks like the same problem since 2012. Guess deleting does nothing and your best bet is to ask for another space increase?
        Last edited by RAMChYLD; 02 May 2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Today repository size went down from about 33 to 16GB, and the packages uploaded and built fine.

RAMChYLD : that problem appears from time to time and then resolves after some days, no need to ask for more space.

lorn10 : what is exactly the issue with 22.04? Any link to actual bug report?

Comment

• There is no particular single issue. I am talking more about a bunch of different bigger and smaller stumbling blocks.

One point is that 22.04 is "brand new" and because of the Wayland migration it is even more tricky to run it on older hardware. We are actually in the stage were the older drivers are adjusted and refreshed to be more Wayland compliant. (Some, like r300, were dramatically improved during the last months.) This all happens mainly in the course of !8044, - the partial migration to NIR.

Well yes, I can still default to X also with 22.04. But for the moment you will most likely not get the stability which 20.04 has. For example, the r300 driver has some strange flaws at older original Intel iMac models when Wayland is used. And at the moment also Gallium Nine is totally broken with several drivers in conjunction with NIR because of a missing feature in NIR, see !16176.

Whatever, as mentioned the Mesa devs and volunteers are working on this so also the Wayland support will be improved. I'm looking where I can help on that and mainly for this I am using the oibaf Mesa builds. At the moment this happens on 20.04 and in the not so far future this will happen mostly on 22.04.

Comment

• A further addition regarding the changed VA-API behavior.

On my Radeon HD6770M GPU with UVD 3.1 there is currently exposed also h265 which is effectively not supported on that GPU generation. So this seems to be a bug. Maybe this is not a building issue, then I should report it on Mesa.

However, instead of exposing h265 it would probably make sense to expose h263 aka the "original MPEG4" variant? This codec is effectively supported at those older UVD generations as well as h262 (MPEG2) and h264 (MPEG4 AVC).

An interesting point is that h263 is as of 2022 also royalty-free like h262, the last patent will expire in 2023. But I should note that because the Intel iGPU series never supported it, the native h263 support in libva didn't get much attention and is therefore not fully stable (on all GPU variants).

Comment

• One point is that 22.04...
                I actually don't see specific issues with 22.04 (and I suggest to upgrade as soon as possible), but I can keep 20.04 for some more time anyway.

VA-API behavior...
                Yes, I think you should report it as a mesa issue.

Comment

• Okay, will report this "h265 exposed on UVD 3.1" issue on Mesa.

And many thanks for still updating the 20.04 branch a little longer! +1

Comment

• We have a new D3D12 VAAPI backend (for WSL).. is supported already on Oibaf PPA builds?
                    The following merge request implements the necessary changes to implement a d3d12 video gallium driver and enable the following VAAPI entrypoints for H264/NV12 bitstreams. The pipe_video_codec implementation is...

mentioned in
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

requires directx-headers >= 1.602.0
                    also seems new pull request may need change build options to enable/disable:
                    Since the d3d12 video implementation requires directx-headers >= 1.602.0, update the dependency. It will now try to resolve the latest DirectX-Headers dependency by default.

Comment

• Originally posted by oscar View Post
                      We have a new D3D12 VAAPI backend (for WSL).. is supported already on Oibaf PPA builds?
                      The following merge request implements the necessary changes to implement a d3d12 video gallium driver and enable the following VAAPI entrypoints for H264/NV12 bitstreams. The pipe_video_codec implementation is...

mentioned in
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

requires directx-headers >= 1.602.0
                      also seems new pull request may need change build options to enable/disable:
                      Since the d3d12 video implementation requires directx-headers >= 1.602.0, update the dependency. It will now try to resolve the latest DirectX-Headers dependency by default.
                      WSL is not that critical, let's see how the bug settles anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X