No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, since recently I had to purge the PPA, because my PC would boot into a glitch screen showing what appears to be old TV static (black and white random dotted pattern). Had to purge via SSH. If kept on for some time, it would apparently freeze into a white screen (maybe a kernel panic? I don't know). I am using Ubuntu Artful with Radeon R9 285. Today I reinstalled to see if the problem was fixed, but it remains. Anyone else with the same issue? Does people upstream already knows about it?

Comment

• I just tried the PPA today and it's still broken for Linux Mint.

Comment

• As of the latest patches I've found some instability after the most recent patch:
        Here's a sample of the crash readout from kern.log:
        Code:
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110013] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 147 0x00288802
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110027] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00500005
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110033] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x02088002
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110041] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM fault (0x02, vmid 1) at page 5242885, read from 'TC6' (0x54433600) (136)
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110051] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 147 0x00288802
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110056] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00500005
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110061] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x02088002
        Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110068] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM fault (0x02, vmid 1) at page 5242885, read from 'TC6' (0x54433600) (136)
        I have a Rx480 on a AMD 6 core processor running Ubuntu Mate Edition 17.10 (Ubuntu is nice, but I don't like their UI or defaults.)

To be safe I already tried deactivating all CPU over-clocking, even though it is clearly GPU based.

I will be running PPA-Purge to insure 100% that it is the drivers from the PPA.

Update: I ran PPA-Purge, and now things work properly again (albeit with not as good performance). I will reinstall next friday and see if the problem persists
        Last edited by Ruediix; 11 February 2018, 04:07 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

• Originally posted by lvella View Post
          Hi, since recently I had to purge the PPA, because my PC would boot into a glitch screen showing what appears to be old TV static (black and white random dotted pattern). Had to purge via SSH. If kept on for some time, it would apparently freeze into a white screen (maybe a kernel panic? I don't know). I am using Ubuntu Artful with Radeon R9 285. Today I reinstalled to see if the problem was fixed, but it remains. Anyone else with the same issue? Does people upstream already knows about it?
          You may want to report a bug, see === Debugging and reporting problems === here: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...phics-drivers/

Comment

• Installed the PPA today and everything seems to work now. I have to switch back to AMDGPU as I went Radeon to diagnose the issue. I have to make a note to myself and not update as often as I have been. One day these drivers work, and one day it feels like a nut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Installed the PPA today and everything seems to work now. I have to switch back to AMDGPU as I went Radeon to diagnose the issue. I have to make a note to myself and not update as often as I have been. One day these drivers work, and one day it feels like a nut.
              I wish someone would make a build with only the release updates, but including performance and debugging options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruediix View Post

I wish someone would make a build with only the release updates, but including performance and debugging options.
                There are the Padoka Stable and the Ubuntu x-swat ppas for more stable releases. I went back to using x-swat because recent oibaf updates are causing random system hard freezes on my new Ryzen machine. Last time I tried Padoka ppas I nuked my entire system, so I haven't tried them again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post

There are the Padoka Stable and the Ubuntu x-swat ppas for more stable releases. I went back to using x-swat because recent oibaf updates are causing random system hard freezes on my new Ryzen machine. Last time I tried Padoka ppas I nuked my entire system, so I haven't tried them again.
                  Padoka PPA is broken badly for Mint users. I have more than one machine and they all had Padoka until one day the updates had held back packages. Ppa-purge even with -d xenial will result in you losing nearly your whole system if you aren't careful. One day a dist-upgrade resulted in me losing everything from Cinnamon to a bunch of other applications. I had to reinstall everything. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I had uninstalled half my system.

Oibaf PPA tends to be more friendlier to Mint users but it has it's moments of breaking. But I can ppa-purge without issue. Plus I can communicate with Oibaf where Padoka is harder to find. I doubt Padoka realizes his PPA has been broken for Mint users for over a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Padoka PPA is broken badly for Mint users. I have more than one machine and they all had Padoka until one day the updates had held back packages. Ppa-purge even with -d xenial will result in you losing nearly your whole system if you aren't careful. One day a dist-upgrade resulted in me losing everything from Cinnamon to a bunch of other applications. I had to reinstall everything. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I had uninstalled half my system.

Oibaf PPA tends to be more friendlier to Mint users but it has it's moments of breaking. But I can ppa-purge without issue. Plus I can communicate with Oibaf where Padoka is harder to find. I doubt Padoka realizes his PPA has been broken for Mint users for over a month.
                    Ha, that happened to me also a couple of times. Doing a purge of the Padoka ppas always wants to remove half your system. The first time I was not careful and had to reinstall. Never had the same issues with oibaf, but at the moment it's unusable for me. Fortunately there isn't much of a performance difference with the programs/games I run, except for some games that stopped working with Wine.

Comment

• Hello, at first i want to give thanks to oibaf and friends who maintenance the ppa oibaf driver.

I want to ask, how i install a newer opencl version? On the ppa description said that "OpenCL support with updated libclc", so how to install opencl 2.0 or 2.2? I am newbie to linux and driver things. I just want to use blender with gpu compute but must need opencl. I want to update the newer opencl version because when i run blender with "CYCLES_OPENCL_SPLIT_KERNEL_TEST=1" the terminal said that "OpenCL version 1.1 does not support the 'static' storage class specifier". Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X