Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    I've got massive amounts of tearing in OpenGL programs... even glxgears. However it stays vsynced to 60FPS it seems more like a texturing problem really and it updates the visual much slower than the indicated fps
    You should open a mesa bug report for this.
    again on r600 I hope you get a card to test on they aren't too expensive these days.

EDITING: wow this is nice to be able to edit :P ... but yeah don't see anything at all in my dmesg about this :/
    I work on this PPA for free and in my free time in the hope that it can be useful to others. I am willing to add patches or new features but I can't afford buying a different card to debug someone problems.

Comment

Didn't you say you enabled some compiler optimisations? The last I remember seeing anything like this was when I compiled mesa with -O3 on gentoo.

how does one go about debugging mesa if there isn't any error in the demsg in any case they already know about this no doubt its highly blatant. Bug reports are for little things.. not in your face tearing on everything.

You have a donation button there don't ya... maybe some generous person might send you enough for an r600 card the lower ends ones really aren't that expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        Didn't you say you enabled some compiler optimisations? The last I remember seeing anything like this was when I compiled mesa with -O3 on gentoo.
        I am not using compiler optimizations. Check /usr/share/doc/libgl1-mesa-dri/changelog.gz for all the changes (vs official Ubuntu packages) I apply to my mesa packages.

how does one go about debugging mesa if there isn't any error in the demsg in any case they already know about this no doubt its highly blatant. Bug reports are for little things.. not in your face tearing on everything.
        It may still be a specific problem of your card. Unless developers are aware of it nobody will look at it. Opening a bug report (unless there is already a similar one) is the best way to let know the problem to developers.

You have a donation button there don't ya... maybe some generous person might send you enough for an r600 card the lower ends ones really aren't that expensive.
        The donation button is only for letting me know that "Hey, I like your work, I donate this little amount to thank you", it's not that I need that to work on it. I do it for fun and as a little step for the community to have better open source drivers. My limiting factor is the time and I am not going to buy a card to debug specific user bugs. The package here are mainly intended as an easy way for users that can't compile mesa themselves to get the latest features and bug fixes and also to better debug any bugs they may found (indeed I am compiling mesa with --enable-debug just for this).

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          I am not using compiler optimizations. Check /usr/share/doc/libgl1-mesa-dri/changelog.gz for all the changes (vs official Ubuntu packages) I apply to my mesa packages.
          When I do a backtrace of compiz using your build of mesa, I often see lines like this one:

Code:
          #8  0x00007f45e10426f7 in dri_st_framebuffer_validate (stfbi=<value optimized out>, statts=0x7fff214238f0, count=1, out=0x0) at dri_drawable.c:73
                  drawable = 0x1afdac0
                  statt_mask = <value optimized out>
                  new_stamp = <value optimized out>
                  i = <value optimized out>
          As far as I can tell, this means it's compiled with optimizations, right?

Comment

It's compiled with the default mesa options (and the same of the official Ubuntu package), so it's using -O2 that could still hide something. However there are no other "gentoo like" optimizations (-O3) that make debugging harder.

Comment

I can temporarily build with -O0 if it's needed to debug something, however.

Comment

Cool, thanks, because that may be necessary, and I'd like to avoid building mesa myself if I can. I'll see what the devs say about the aforementioned compiz-bug; if they need more info.

By the way, I'm wondering if you could enable OpenGL ES in your mesa builds? Do you know if it's possible to include both regular OpenGL and OpenGL ES in a single mesa build? It seems like it is, by using the --enable-gles2 option while configuring. I'd like to be able to test some of the OpenGL ES applications that exist, like the OpenGL ES version of Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
                  Cool, thanks, because that may be necessary, and I'd like to avoid building mesa myself if I can. I'll see what the devs say about the aforementioned compiz-bug; if they need more info.
                  If you aren't aware this bug looks related to the crash you were having:
                  https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36563.

I pushed the -O0 build in this PPA so to not affects other users (the performance drop is small anyway: openarena went from 58.7 to 57.9):

Make sure you install the package from the desired PPA.

By the way, I'm wondering if you could enable OpenGL ES in your mesa builds? Do you know if it's possible to include both regular OpenGL and OpenGL ES in a single mesa build? It seems like it is, by using the --enable-gles2 option while configuring. I'd like to be able to test some of the OpenGL ES applications that exist, like the OpenGL ES version of Compiz.
                  It is already enabled in a different package
                  Code:
                  $ apt-cache search libgles
                  libgles1-mesa - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 1.x API -- runtime
                  libgles1-mesa-dbg - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 1.x API -- debugging symbols
                  libgles1-mesa-dev - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 1.x API -- development files
                  libgles2-mesa - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 2.x API -- runtime
                  libgles2-mesa-dbg - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 2.x API -- debugging symbols
                  libgles2-mesa-dev - A free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 2.x API -- development files

Comment

Do you plan to add a ia32-libs package with latest 32 bit libdrm and mesa?
                    This is the only thing that xorg-edgers currently lacks and it would be a real plus for your ppa.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      Do you plan to add a ia32-libs package with latest 32 bit libdrm and mesa?
                      This is the only thing that xorg-edgers currently lacks and it would be a real plus for your ppa.
                      Unfortunately I am still on 32 bit so it would be difficult to test it. I may have a look at it anyway if I have some time in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X