No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graphical glitches since last update (LLVM for r600)

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Mesa in the PPA now uses LLVM compiler for the r600 driver.
    First, thank you oibaf for your excellent work about packaging those drivers to provide an easy to use ppa.

I'm using it for several month now with an AMD radeon HD 6950 (2GB). I can play lots of games with good fps (even unigine oil rush is running fine in medium details in 1920x1200).

But, unfortunately, since the last update (where mesa in the ppa uses llvm for r600), I encounter severe graphical glitches for every 3D application (2D desktop and videos are fine).

Here is a screenshot of glxgears :

I'm currently using ubuntu 12.04 64bit, unity 2D. Below are some glxinfo :

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAYMAN
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.1-devel (git-6404095 precise-oibaf-ppa)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

I tried to revert to original distribution packages, wich solve the rendering problem, but cause performance and compatibility problems of course...

So I brought back the ppa and the faulty rendering is still here.

Have you got an idea to diagnose this problem ?

Comment

• Hi oibaf. Can you please include "Don't wait on a CRTC which has been disabled via DPMS (bug #49761)" ati commit in your next update?

Thank you.
      Last edited by schnelle; 06 June 2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• I have exactly the same problem, all the games crash with this ppa .... flash crash too

Comment

• Originally posted by schnelle View Post
          Hi oibaf. Can you please include "Don't wait on a CRTC which has been disabled via DPMS (bug #49761)" ati commit in your next update?

Thank you.
          It's building now.

Comment

• r600 LLVM support has improved recently so the bug may also be fixed in git. If not I can disable it. However I cannot build mesa due to a recent bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50604 . If it get fixed before friday I'll push a newer mesa, else you should wait until July since I am going on vacation . (I have no time to do other workarounds currently).

Comment

• I reuploaded latest mesa without the r600 LLVM compiler. Please test.

Comment

• Crash with 4870

I have a Sapphire Radeon 4870, and I get a kernel panic when X starts during the boot process when I use kernel 3.5-rc1 and 3.5-rc2. Not sure if the problem is specific to this PPA. I don't have a whole lot of info on the kernel panic as it doesn't fit entirely on the screen. If someone wants a picture or knows of a way to get the full contents of the panic, I'd be more than happy to share.

I may post some of this same info to the "Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics" thread.

Comment

• ok without r600 LLVM compiler

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  I reuploaded latest mesa without the r600 LLVM compiler. Please test.
                  Yes, it's back to normal (correct rendering). Thanks for fast reaction ! It seems a bit early for r600 LLVM...

@hiryu : I tried 3.5-rc2 release too, hopping for the performance boost as in Michael's bencharks. Unfortunately, I got system freeze when I start any 3D application. Like you, I'm wondering if this is related to this PPA.

Note : in kernel ppa, 3.5-rc2 is marked as "quantal", so I compiled from sources using my current settings + default for new stuff.

Comment

• Oibaf,

Do you have a shell script that you use to update your ppa that you would be willing to share? The mesa version on your ppa is over a month old, and I would like to try out some of the new upstream work. Due to the complexity of compiling on X86_64 under Ubuntu 12.04, I figured it would be better to ask you first rather than try to dive into writting my own script.

Thanks

Comment

• Mesa is that old because out of tree builds that the debian packages uses have been broken for that long due to the build system getting changed in git.

see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50604 (among others)

Comment

Working...
                      X