Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unknown2 View Post
    security control.

as i am not a hardcore X-org developer, i do not know whether it is possible for background daemon to access DRI

So to be safe, i want to ensure no access.

Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0660
    EndSection
    i got the answer

According to http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DRM , i take a look at the permission at /dev/dri

The setting has no effect and seems obsolete.

Anyways, the security setting of /dev/dri is secure enough by default, there is no need to set anything

Comment

• ** Warning to intel users **

Due to a build problem I disabled building the i965 driver in mesa packages, so you'll get llvmpipe instead. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

The good news for the others is that mesa packages are now available also on Ubuntu 12.04 "precise".

Comment

• Linux Mint 12 here (ubuntu 11.10 based).
        Installing your PPA on sandybridge i3-2105 hardware results in very slow gallium llvmpipe with composite disabled.
        I wonder if this is caused by build problem above.
        What should I do?

Comment

• Rolling back via apt-purge solved the problem... Any idea why I cannot use your package on this system? Im not in USA...

Comment

• Weird, weird...
            Code:
            ~ $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep dri
            [   966.716] 	X.Org XInput driver : 12.3
            [   966.718] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
            [   966.718] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
            [   966.719] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
            [   966.719] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
            [   966.719] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
            [   966.719] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
            [   966.719] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
            [   966.719] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
            [   966.719] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
            [   966.719] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
            [   966.719] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
            [   966.719] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
            [   966.720] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
            [   966.720] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
            [   966.720] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
            [   966.721] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
            [   966.721] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
            [   966.722] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
            [   968.604] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
            [   968.604] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
            [   968.604] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
            [   968.604] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
            [   968.604] (II) intel(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: i965
            [   968.664] (II) intel(0): [XvMC] xvmc_vld driver initialized.
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri-alternates/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
            [   968.668] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
            [   968.686] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 12.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
              oibaf: "** Warning to intel users **"

;-)
              Yes, but it complains on "965" and I have sandybridge hd3000.
              dri-alternatives has only "915" and "swrast".
              worst thing, Im gentoo guy and have not used mint or debian-like for two years....

This is worst thing, our collegue, oibaf could do.
              DONT disable in build!! Pin it! It is blocker! People update blindly and will be leaved with 2D desktop! Wrong way.

Anyway, I removed the ppa and replaced it with xorg edgers + kernel 3.2 backport ppa.
              Works pretty good, urban terror gets constant playable 60+ fps (vsync is on)@1600_900, even on huge maps with 30 players and highest detail settings.

This is after I used "optimized urt binary" though, as stock one will hang on start in console and complain about missing menu xmls...

Im pretty much envious about core i3 now,.. opensource done right ?
              Thanks Intel!!
              Relatives are happy to dump stinky windowze
              Last edited by crazycheese; 22 January 2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• EDIT: i965 provide support for i965 up to Sandy Bridge

xorg-edgers "works" because they are shipping a mesa git version older than the commit that breaks the intel build. I prefer to ship an updated version leaving out a driver if it blocks all the build (this is my PPA, it's free, I don't have an intel card so I prefer to do this ). If you care see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44928 , you can also provide a patch to fix it obliviously...

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  EDIT: i965 provide support for i965 up to Sandy Bridge

xorg-edgers "works" because they are shipping a mesa git version older than the commit that breaks the intel build. I prefer to ship an updated version leaving out a driver if it blocks all the build (this is my PPA, it's free, I don't have an intel card so I prefer to do this ). If you care see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44928 , you can also provide a patch to fix it obliviously...
                  Ah, ok thanks for clearing up!

No, it is YOUR PPA, you are correct! But if you do it this way, you will be less popular due to not good decisions.
                  For example, you push bits of Intel driver with core parts cut out.

If I had upgraded from your precompiled stack before, I would land with broken driver and no rollback. If there is blocker cut the part completely or wait till its fixed. It is not good to deliver partially complete driver (building somewhere somethnig WITH intel, but impartial).

I would assist, really. The problem, it is not my machine and I don?t have access to it now anymore. It was bought yesterday, I tried to assemble it together to usable state and encountered this trouble.
                  I never used your PPA before, nor Intel hardware. So, I cannot fix it, nor I have access to it. :/

Maybe sometime I buy SB ex and then I will gladly step in. That would take some time....

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    a patch to fix it obliviously...
                    Be careful with the oblivion. That's probably how it broke in the first place :P

Comment

• I can confirm this breaks video support in Oneiric for me. There are graphical glitches everywhere and the the display is running unusually slow.

Computer is Acer 1830T:
                      Intel i7-680UM processor
                      intel HD Graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics) (not HD 2000/3000 as I understand it)

I had to fix it using ppa-purge as well.

I'd have to agree with crazycheese, don't release something if you're aware it will break things. You describe the PPA as "...updated X (2D) and mesa (3D) free graphics drivers for radeon, intel and nvidia hardware." but then state

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      EDIT:
                      ...I prefer to ship an updated version leaving out a driver if it blocks all the build (this is my PPA, it's free, I don't have an intel card so I prefer to do this )
                      Would you knowingly break ATI or nVidia support? I *really* do appreciate the work you've put into creating and maintaining this PPA but I just can't use it if you're willing to disregard users this way. For a long time I viewed this as a way to stay up to date with less risks than using edgers.

Comment

Working...
                      X