Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Yesterday I updated my Mint 18 and couldn't boot the machine into a UI. I had to ppa-purge the PPA to get it to boot back up. Am I the only person who uses Mint with this PPA, cause I feel like I'm the only one running into these problems.

**EDIT**

Tried again and same Xserver error. Ppa-purge to fix it.
    If you are using Debian testing based mint, OIbaf ppa is not compatible with Debian testing or sid because of nvidias GLVND package, libegl1.
    https://packages.debian.org/buster/libegl1

Oibaf, is there any change that you could produce Debian testing or sid packages too. Is it a big job and possible if I get a uhbuntu one account and modify your repo to work with Debian testing?

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you are using Debian testing based mint, OIbaf ppa is not compatible with Debian testing or sid because of nvidias GLVND package, libegl1.

Oibaf, is there any change that you could produce Debian testing or sid packages too. Is it a big job and possible if I get a uhbuntu one account and modify your repo to work with Debian testing?
      The launchpad PPA only builds against the Ubuntu versions, there is no way to build against Debian version from what I know. Some Ubuntu versions somewhat match against other Debian versions and it could work, but when using rolling distro like testing or sid problems may arise. You may want to set up a PPA and backport from Debian some packages like libegl1 and rebuild my packages.
      I don't have time to look into it myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post

The launchpad PPA only builds against the Ubuntu versions, there is no way to build against Debian version from what I know. Some Ubuntu versions somewhat match against other Debian versions and it could work, but when using rolling distro like testing or sid problems may arise. You may want to set up a PPA and backport from Debian some packages like libegl1 and rebuild my packages.
        I don't have time to look into it myself.
        Thanks for the reply and for Oibaf Mesa git. I did use Oibaf ppa for years and it is over now, thanks to nvidia and the Canonical mesa maintainer in Debian. GLVND causes problems for nvidia users too, I was planning to switch to Arch Linux, but: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54099
        Last edited by debianxfce; 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I'm using Mint 18.3 x64 with Cinnamon. It's the one based on Ubuntu.

Comment

• Hi, since recently I had to purge the PPA, because my PC would boot into a glitch screen showing what appears to be old TV static (black and white random dotted pattern). Had to purge via SSH. If kept on for some time, it would apparently freeze into a white screen (maybe a kernel panic? I don't know). I am using Ubuntu Artful with Radeon R9 285. Today I reinstalled to see if the problem was fixed, but it remains. Anyone else with the same issue? Does people upstream already knows about it?

Comment

• I just tried the PPA today and it's still broken for Linux Mint.

Comment

• As of the latest patches I've found some instability after the most recent patch:
                Here's a sample of the crash readout from kern.log:
                Code:
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110013] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 147 0x00288802
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110027] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00500005
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110033] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x02088002
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110041] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM fault (0x02, vmid 1) at page 5242885, read from 'TC6' (0x54433600) (136)
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110051] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 147 0x00288802
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110056] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00500005
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110061] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x02088002
                Feb 11 12:40:03 robert-desktop kernel: [ 321.110068] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM fault (0x02, vmid 1) at page 5242885, read from 'TC6' (0x54433600) (136)
                I have a Rx480 on a AMD 6 core processor running Ubuntu Mate Edition 17.10 (Ubuntu is nice, but I don't like their UI or defaults.)

To be safe I already tried deactivating all CPU over-clocking, even though it is clearly GPU based.

I will be running PPA-Purge to insure 100% that it is the drivers from the PPA.

Update: I ran PPA-Purge, and now things work properly again (albeit with not as good performance). I will reinstall next friday and see if the problem persists
                Last edited by Ruediix; 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

• Originally posted by lvella View Post
                  Hi, since recently I had to purge the PPA, because my PC would boot into a glitch screen showing what appears to be old TV static (black and white random dotted pattern). Had to purge via SSH. If kept on for some time, it would apparently freeze into a white screen (maybe a kernel panic? I don't know). I am using Ubuntu Artful with Radeon R9 285. Today I reinstalled to see if the problem was fixed, but it remains. Anyone else with the same issue? Does people upstream already knows about it?
                  You may want to report a bug, see === Debugging and reporting problems === here: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...phics-drivers/

Comment

• Installed the PPA today and everything seems to work now. I have to switch back to AMDGPU as I went Radeon to diagnose the issue. I have to make a note to myself and not update as often as I have been. One day these drivers work, and one day it feels like a nut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      Installed the PPA today and everything seems to work now. I have to switch back to AMDGPU as I went Radeon to diagnose the issue. I have to make a note to myself and not update as often as I have been. One day these drivers work, and one day it feels like a nut.
                      I wish someone would make a build with only the release updates, but including performance and debugging options.

Comment

Working...
                      X