Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I have a 6850 but do I need 4.1 to get 3.3?
    Sorry, I misread, try
    Code:
    MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE= 330
    Instead.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Also would I put that in "/etc/environment"?
    Yeah, I guess it should work. You could find bugs if you do that, though, I suppose.

EDIT: I did some tests and set the version override in "/etc/environment"... you have to add "COMPAT" at the end of MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, like this:
    Code:
    MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT
    Last edited by asdfblah; 11 January 2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Suspend seems to be broken (no surprise, happens every now and then) and I get total system freezes in the Valley benchmark (in the scene with the rocks and the heavy rain).

fixed in llvm 3.8

Comment

• Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        Sorry, I misread, try
        Code:
        MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE= 330
        Instead.

Yeah, I guess it should work. You could find bugs if you do that, though, I suppose.

EDIT: I did some tests and set the version override in "/etc/environment"... you have to add "COMPAT" at the end of MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, like this:
        Code:
        MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT
        Thanks that seems to have worked. It reports 3.3 now.

Comment

• Trying to enable reclocking on my Nvidia laptop with 9600M GT and tried this.

Code:
          sudo su root
          NvReclock=1
          echo 0f> /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pstate
          I get permission denied. How do I enable reclocking?

Comment

How do I completely remove Oibaf PPA? ppa-purge doesn't seem to do it. I'm interested in trying Paulo Dias PPA or just going back to regular drivers that came with Mint 17.2.

use the software sources manager, and the downgrade foreign packages tool

Comment

How do I get OpenGL 3.3 for R600? Specifically every time I boot the PC.
              Code:
              ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
              OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
              OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-cb51348 2016-01-08 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
              OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
              OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
              OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
              OpenGL core profile extensions:
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-cb51348 2016-01-08 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
              OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
              OpenGL context flags: (none)
              OpenGL extensions:
              OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-cb51348 2016-01-08 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
              OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
              OpenGL ES profile extensions:
              Check out that message again:

OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-cb51348 2016-01-08 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-cb51348 2016-01-08 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
              You already have GL 3.3 support. Mesa only supports core profiles. The override you provided just fakes compat contexts.

Comment

• Been having a problem lately using this PPA with Mint 17.3. Specifically a fresh 17.3, as upgraded 17.2 to 17.3 has no problems using Oibaf PPA. Here's the issue with 17.3 and Oibaf PPA. Just last week I ran "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and it removed Cinnamon and MDM from my machine, probably because the mesa files are required for Cinnamon and Cinnamon just happily uninstalls itself. I was able to reinstall Cinnamon and MDM back into the machine, but without working graphic drivers I just get a message that Cinnamon crashed and went into a sorta safe mode.

The author of the post said this. So, anyway to fix this cause I had to reinstall Mint 17.3 and just avoided using the Oibaf PPA? Not sure if just upgrading the kernel does anything for the graphics drivers.

Originally posted by Snowfall
                The reason for this is simple, and is also covered in the PPA's read me - The Oibaf PPA only supports the default Trusty (Linux Mint 17.1) graphics stack. What you now get with fresh installations of Linux Mint 17.3 is the 15.04 Vivid backported stack (based on mesa 10.5.9).
                Last edited by Dukenukemx; 22 January 2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Hi, I'm maintaining a LiveCD of Linux Mint 17.3 for Microsoft Surface devices. My system is actually a SP3 which was originally Mint 17.2, upgraded manually to 17.3, so I don't have the -lts-vivid packages which cause this issue. However, I came up with a solution for the LiveCD (and fresh installs of 17.3) which won't cause apt-get dist-upgrade to go crazy and suggest removing cinnamon etc. You need to download all of the files from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...W9mSlVpcHQ1VUU and run upgrade.sh - it will add the Oibaf PPA and update only that repository for you. You need to keep the folder structure the same, so the "rem" (short for "remove") subfolder must be present wherever you run upgrade.sh, along with the other debs.

It should be noted however that the xorg packages are based on 1.18.0 from http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-x...rg-server.git/ and, as such, you won't be able to upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-* packages from Oibaf - they will be "held back" by dpkg as the ABI version is not compatible. Also, with the intel driver I compiled, I enabled default dri as 3 (from 2) by default. All other packages (such as Mesa and Libdrm) will continue to update fine from Oibaf's repository though.

I have also done some preliminary work on updating cairo and its libraries - I doubt I will ever be able to upgrade the perl or C++ wrappers, but the Python ones are done (from Wily, as Xenial requires Python 3.5, which breaks stuff). I haven't uploaded those yet though - I'm not even sure they are necessary, as everything seems to be smooth with the one that comes as standard in trusty-updates.

Just an edit as I had messed up the permissions on the original packages, so rebuilt them (or in the case of the mesa packages, used debcontrol from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724) with fakeroot. Now the libraries are owned and created by root. I also compiled updated versions of libva and the intel vaapi driver from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/ and http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/intel-driver/ respectively, as the latest commit of libva has added nouveau and radeon for Mesa Gallium.
                  Last edited by Tigerite; 02 February 2016, 09:57 AM. Reason: Updated libva and vaapi

Comment

• Thanks Tigerite. I'll give these a try later and report. I have another 17.3 clean installed machine and running dist-upgrade removed nearly every application.

Comment

• So running the upgrade.sh will automatically upgrade the oibaf ppa drivers? So this doesn't prevent the "dist-upgrade" from breaking the system? Is this Mints fault or Oibaf PPA?

Comment

Working...
                      X