No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any prevision when LLVM 3.7 will be adopted? I got everything updated but still didn't get OpenGL 4.0 in radeonsi.

Comment

• Hello,

oibaf first of all thank you very much for the awesome work! I'm trying to use ubuntu as my main OS and graphics drivers are a must have since I'm working on a cross-platform 3D engine (https://github.com/aerys/minko).

For a few months it worked just great. The performance boost is just amazing (Intel HD 5500).

But for the past few days (2 weeks maybe), the updates provided by ppaibaf/graphics-driver make my Ubuntu 14.04 64bit config crash. The problem is about undefined symbols : _glapi_dispatch or _glapi_tls_dispatch. It's so bad unity won't run, X crashes and gets me back to the login screen whenever I try to login.

To fix this, I've cloned Mesa's git and compiled it myself. I then use the compiled ligGL.so.1.2.0 to replace the one provided by your ppa. And then things just work. It's really strange since I'm guessing the libGL provided by the ppa should be the same as the one I compile myself.

Any idea how I could fix this and make your ppa work without any additional steps?
      How could I help diagnose the issue?

Thank you,

Comment

• Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Tessellation is working in Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark! Running "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.0 ./heaven" in the Heaven folder do the trick.

So for now the radeonsi driver still didn't advertise OpenGL4, but the functionality is there.

I'm using a R9 290, Kernel 4.1.3.

But Steam don't want to start with the version override, so I can't test if Metro Redux or Bioshock Infinity are working yet.

Can confirm.

Of course, it's a slideshow.

HD7850 + oibaf PPA

Comment

• promethe42 no idea, sorry, probably a conflict between the ppa and LTS enablement packages ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack ). I no longer have a trusty installation to test.
          I suggest using LTS enablement packages or upgrading to vivid for using the ppa.
          Last edited by oibaf; 08 August 2015, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• For some odd reason on Ubuntu 15.04 x64, every time I add the PPA and upgrade Mesa, Unity doesn't use certain effects (e.g. the glass effect of the Unity bar is gone) and it seems Unity is running in 2d-esk type of mode. However once purging the PPA it all works again. Resetting Unity doesn't do anything either.

Any ideas?

Code:
            OpenGL vendor string:   X.Org
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.42.0, LLVM 3.6.2)
            OpenGL version string:  3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel (git-2438e2f 2015-08-19 vivid-oibaf-ppa)

Not software rendered:    yes
            Not blacklisted:          yes
            GLX fbconfig:             yes
            GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
            GL npot or rect textures: yes
            GL vertex program:        yes
            GL fragment program:      yes
            GL vertex buffer object:  yes
            GL framebuffer object:    yes
            GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes
            And here it is after a reboot...

Code:
            OpenGL vendor string:   VMware, Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
            OpenGL version string:  3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel (git-2438e2f 2015-08-19 vivid-oibaf-ppa)

Not software rendered:    no
            Not blacklisted:          yes
            GLX fbconfig:             yes
            GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
            GL npot or rect textures: yes
            GL vertex program:        yes
            GL fragment program:      yes
            GL vertex buffer object:  yes
            GL framebuffer object:    yes
            GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       no
            I'm NOT using VMware.
            Last edited by Awesome Donkey; 19 August 2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• May be are interesting in source of right debian scripts to build last llvm trunk on i386. Please, take a look at http://llvm.org/apt/unstable/pool/ma...hain-snapshot/ . Good luck!
              Last edited by aboriginal; 27 August 2015, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the help. I am a bit busy ATM, so the best way would be to help fixing official llvm-3.7 in Ubuntu. Once this is done I can easily backport in the ppa and build mesa against it.

Comment

• you will add support Ubuntu Wily Werewolf?

Comment

• LLVM 3.7 package is close to build on i386

llvm-toolchain-3.7 (1:3.7~+rc4-1ubuntu1) wily; urgency=medium
                    * Merge with Debian; remaining changes: - Disable lldb on powerpc, currently ftbfs.
                    * libllvm3.7: Add Conflicts/Replaces to libllvm3.7v4 (anticipated backport).
                    * Fix build targeting i686.

This time tests failed after build

370 out of 388 test suites processed

I have two games to play with opengl 4.x: Metro 2033 Redux, Metro: Last Light Redux. I believe in increasing fps in Dreamfall Chapters, feature releases Alien: Isolation and ArmA 3. Not sure if SOMA by Frictional Games requires opengl 4.x

Comment

• Hi oibaf, I have an old laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel 4 Series chipset (GM45 | 4500MHD). Is there any point to subscribing to this PPA? Is the driver set still updated with bugfixes and/or new features for my graphics hardware? Thank you for your work!

Comment

Working...
                      X