Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
    If you want you can test my PPA, which has latest llvm 3.7git with latest mesa, intel, etc AND opencl (i386/amd64) with amdgcn enabled for radeonsi.
    Well, I'm quite positive about that in general, because since most things are done in GPU side as shaders, compiler happens to be thing of paramount importance. And old LLVM versions were just awful and even recent versions are far from being good quality & feature-complete.

    Though...
    1) I don't have Intel GPUs capable of OpenCL. I have some older intel integrated GPUs but Intel seems to mostly ignore these. Even OpenGL support on these is quite limited. So TBH I do not see major reasons to uplift graphic stack on such systems. I can't expect much from these and it not likely to change as Intel seems to disregard older hardware almost completely.

    2) I have some systems running VLIW based and GCN based GPUs and I'm interested in OpenCL for sure. Yet, I currently use Ubuntu 14.04 on most of these. I have uplifted most of graphics stack from Oibaf PPA and also updated kernels (something roughly equivalent to 3.19RC6) as it takes minimal efforts on my side and causes minimal dusturbance and easy to undo. But your PPA only seems to exist for Ubuntu 14.10. Upgrading to 14.10 is a part of plan for sure, but it requires to spent some time on this and I haven't done it yet on most systems (since I have more or less recent graphics and kernel, it is not as pressing as it could be).

    (on side note, your PPA is one of reasons why I may want to upgrade to 14.10, Phoronix already PRed it couple of times, so I noticed it too )

    Comment


    • Just checking, but are the mesa packages on both the oibaf PPA and the gallium-nine dev PPA from git? And do they both receive the same fixes/changes from git? And if so, is the only real difference between the two mesa packages is that the gallium-nine one also gets fixes/changes for... gallium-nine-related stuff?

      Comment


      • And an additional question (didn't make it in-time for the edit period); could the gallium-nine mesa be used with Paulo's PPA? The main concern is; does Mesa have to be built with a specific LLVM package in-mind?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          Just checking, but are the mesa packages on both the oibaf PPA and the gallium-nine dev PPA from git? And do they both receive the same fixes/changes from git? And if so, is the only real difference between the two mesa packages is that the gallium-nine one also gets fixes/changes for... gallium-nine-related stuff?
          The graphics-drivers ppa follows the gallium nine in Mesa Git. The gallium-nine PPA follows ixit/Mesa-3D which isn't rebased against Mesa Git too often. The former has less Nine changes since the Ixit repo has changes not submitted to the ML/waiting approval. About the second point, no idea.

          Comment


          • Has the way DRI_PRIME works changed by some chance? On my A+A muxless laptop, Ubuntu's gpu-manager only sees one GPU, and using DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo only shows the renderer on the iGPU (expected the dGPU).

            Xorg.0.log shows the dGPU loading though, and playing back a movie with mpv on the dGPU has "somewhat expected" results (video doesn't show; crashes X when maximized; DRI_PRIME=0 is fine though). xrandr --listproviders shows 2 (3; one source is repeated) sources.

            So basically, DRI_PRIME doesn't show my dGPU when polling for info, but it does seem to be used regardless.

            I'm using Ubuntu 14.10 and the DRI3 test PPA if it matters. Results are the same when using either Paulo's or oibaf's PPA.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Has the way DRI_PRIME works changed by some chance? On my A+A muxless laptop, Ubuntu's gpu-manager only sees one GPU, and using DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo only shows the renderer on the iGPU (expected the dGPU).

              Xorg.0.log shows the dGPU loading though, and playing back a movie with mpv on the dGPU has "somewhat expected" results (video doesn't show; crashes X when maximized; DRI_PRIME=0 is fine though). xrandr --listproviders shows 2 (3; one source is repeated) sources.

              So basically, DRI_PRIME doesn't show my dGPU when polling for info, but it does seem to be used regardless.

              I'm using Ubuntu 14.10 and the DRI3 test PPA if it matters. Results are the same when using either Paulo's or oibaf's PPA.
              Try restarting the X server manually (sudo service lightdm/kdm/... restart) and running the commands again...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                And an additional question (didn't make it in-time for the edit period); could the gallium-nine mesa be used with Paulo's PPA? The main concern is; does Mesa have to be built with a specific LLVM package in-mind?
                Yes, for using sarnex wine you must create symlinks:

                ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d

                ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/d3d

                Comment


                • Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post
                  Yes, for using sarnex wine you must create symlinks:

                  ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d

                  ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/d3d
                  I meant the PPA, not gallium-nine (found out the symlink a little while back)

                  To be clear, I wanted to see if I could use Paulo's PPA, with oibaf's gallium-nine PPA. It would seem LLVM 3.7 is not installed with the gallium-nine PPA, so it seems Mesa does depends on a specific build of LLVM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    I meant the PPA, not gallium-nine (found out the symlink a little while back)

                    To be clear, I wanted to see if I could use Paulo's PPA, with oibaf's gallium-nine PPA. It would seem LLVM 3.7 is not installed with the gallium-nine PPA, so it seems Mesa does depends on a specific build of LLVM.
                    Code:
                    ldd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/d3dadapter9.so
                    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7707000)
                    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xf70b8000)
                    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xf70b0000)
                    	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0xf7080000)
                    	libdrm_nouveau.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_nouveau.so.2 (0xf7078000)
                    	libdrm_intel.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_intel.so.1 (0xf7050000)
                    	libdrm_radeon.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm_radeon.so.1 (0xf7040000)
                    	libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0xf7030000)
                    	libelf.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libelf.so.1 (0xf7010000)
                    	libLLVM-3.7.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.7.so.1 (0xf4d00000)
                    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf4c08000)
                    	libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xf4bc0000)
                    	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf4a10000)
                    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf49f0000)
                    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7708000)
                    	libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xf49e0000)
                    	libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0xf49c0000)
                    	libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0xf49b0000)
                    	libedit.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libedit.so.2 (0xf4980000)
                    	libtinfo.so.5 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5 (0xf4958000)
                    libLLVM-3.7.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.7.so.1 (0xf4d00000)

                    Impossible.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      I meant the PPA, not gallium-nine (found out the symlink a little while back)

                      To be clear, I wanted to see if I could use Paulo's PPA, with oibaf's gallium-nine PPA. It would seem LLVM 3.7 is not installed with the gallium-nine PPA, so it seems Mesa does depends on a specific build of LLVM.
                      you dont need https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...nine/+packages to use my ppa (padoka). My ppa provides nine also, i just went the "debian" way and separated them into libs instead of packing everything in one blob like oibaf did. so to use my nine libs with padoka ppa you just need to apt-get install libd3d9-mesa[-dev,-dbg].

                      btw this is mentioned in the PPA description field (how to install nine libs with padoka).

                      hope this helps

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X