Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    Someone else might be able to give more thorough information, but radeonsi is the driver used to handle GCN hardware (I think Radeon HD 7800 series and up, and some R7/R9 hardware). Everything else for the most part that isn't GCN is ran with the r600 driver.
    Right. Looks like your laptop has an Llano APU and a Caicos discrete GPU. Both of those use the r600 3d driver rather than the radeonsi driver.
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Right. Looks like your laptop has an Llano APU and a Caicos discrete GPU. Both of those use the r600 3d driver rather than the radeonsi driver.
      one last question, is this discrete gpu going to lose a lot of performance in games (dota2 mainly) than catalyst(this already suck xD)?
      and im learning C with some pdfs i found(im studying system engineering im from peru and this is "like" software engineering have some courses of programming) if i want to help with this drivers i can learn and help with some codes, i know basic java python html , can i get involve?

Comment

• Hello there
        I'm trying to run dota 2 on my ancient pc which has an old Pentium dual core + 2gb ram + 4670hd gpu
        Been following this thread for a while
        So from what I understand, to get dota 2 working in my card, with gallium nine, I need
        Oibaf ppa
        And sarnex patched wine

My doubts are with dri3 and llvm and also glamour

Will the game have any perforMance improvements if I use dri3 patched ppa from sarnex, is it use full?
        As explained in the previous posts llvm is use full in newer gvn cards, so that seemingly leaves mine out, but I would like to know whether getting it would improve my fps (by opting for the padoka ppa) in ways that I might not know about

Lastly regarding glamour and exa, I suppose exa would be enabled by default, will switching it to glamour help

I have been searching a lot to get the maximum performance out of this card but the information out there is rather sparse
        So if any one has any points to help me out, that will be incredibly useful (I know the card is pretty old, but I'm just curious to know how far I can go with these limited specs)

I'm using zorin os which is Ubuntu based but I'm gonna change it to xubuntu once I finish downloading (very slow Internet)

Comment

• No acceleration on Kaveri A8-7100

Hello,

I'm using Kubuntu 15.04 (beta) and added the oibaf PPA but can't enable acceleration. I think the Radeon driver doesn't detect the APU video.
          Any ideas how to fix this? This is my Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10570880/

Cheers!

Comment

• black screen at boot hybrid graphics

well, i cant boot with radeon foss drivers(black screen but can hear a sound, the normal boot sound , but screen is off) at hybrid graphics apuigpu/dgpu, i read almost all of google and tryed all of it and still have not a solution, guess that i need to go back with catalyst

Comment

• OpenGL 3.3 on Sandybridge?

According to this article, complete OpenGL 3.3 support landed in Mesa with geometry shaders way back in September 2014. However, using your latest packages it still advertises 3.0. There's an OpenGL application (non-native to Linux) that's partially working, and I suspect it requires 3.3 because it's native platform advertises minimum OpenGL compatibility of 3.3.

Code:
              Driver:  Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2

Driver Version:  3.0 Mesa 10.6.0-devel (git-51b43c5 2015-03-09 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
              OpenGL Version: 3.0
              I'll be very grateful if anyone can solve this for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxwivi View Post
                According to this article, complete OpenGL 3.3 support landed in Mesa with geometry shaders way back in September 2014. However, using your latest packages it still advertises 3.0. There's an OpenGL application (non-native to Linux) that's partially working, and I suspect it requires 3.3 because it's native platform advertises minimum OpenGL compatibility of 3.3.

Code:
                Driver:  Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2

Driver Version:  3.0 Mesa 10.6.0-devel (git-51b43c5 2015-03-09 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
                OpenGL Version: 3.0
                I'll be very grateful if anyone can solve this for me.
                Mesa only supports GL 3.3 in core profiles. You need to request a core profile to to get GL versions larger than 3.0.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribelu View Post
                  Hello,

I'm using Kubuntu 15.04 (beta) and added the oibaf PPA but can't enable acceleration. I think the Radeon driver doesn't detect the APU video.
                  Any ideas how to fix this? This is my Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10570880/

Cheers!
                  Try:

Code:
                  glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                  Paste the output here and double check to make sure you don't have fglrx installed. I'm not familiar with Xorg logs at all, but I noticed this:

Code:
                  [    34.765] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 0
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 1
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 2
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 3
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 4
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 5
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 6
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 7
                  [    34.765] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 8
                  [    34.765] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
                  [    34.765] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
                  [    34.766] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
                  [    34.766] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
                  [    34.766] (II) Unloading fglrx
                  [    34.766] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
                  and I don't really know if that is normal or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by st33l View Post
                    Hello there
                    I'm trying to run dota 2 on my ancient pc which has an old Pentium dual core + 2gb ram + 4670hd gpu
                    Been following this thread for a while
                    So from what I understand, to get dota 2 working in my card, with gallium nine, I need
                    Oibaf ppa
                    And sarnex patched wine

My doubts are with dri3 and llvm and also glamour

Will the game have any perforMance improvements if I use dri3 patched ppa from sarnex, is it use full?
                    As explained in the previous posts llvm is use full in newer gvn cards, so that seemingly leaves mine out, but I would like to know whether getting it would improve my fps (by opting for the padoka ppa) in ways that I might not know about

Lastly regarding glamour and exa, I suppose exa would be enabled by default, will switching it to glamour help

I have been searching a lot to get the maximum performance out of this card but the information out there is rather sparse
                    So if any one has any points to help me out, that will be incredibly useful (I know the card is pretty old, but I'm just curious to know how far I can go with these limited specs)

I'm using zorin os which is Ubuntu based but I'm gonna change it to xubuntu once I finish downloading (very slow Internet)
                    I'd recommend taking a look at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ormance_tuning

Whether you're using Arch or not, a lot of it still applies, and they're very thorough in their documentation.

Glamor is a 2D acceleration method implemented through OpenGL, and it should work with graphic cards whose drivers are newer or equal to R300.
                    You can find out what it is currently running (Glamor or EXA) by installing mesa-utils (if you don't have it already)

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
                    glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      Mesa only supports GL 3.3 in core profiles. You need to request a core profile to to get GL versions larger than 3.0.
                      I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?

Comment

Working...
                      X