Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    KWin VSync doesn't work with DRI3 or it's just me?
    Nope, not just you. Present support has not been started for the Radeon DDX, so vsync isn't supported at the moment. I totally understand if you revert.

Comment

• after fix, i can't login into gnome3, only in gnome3 composite or metacity. if i use ubuntu my secondary monitor flickering... i must purge to use the pc...

Comment

• sarnex, should we remove the official Wine PPA before adding yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Donkey View Post
          sarnex, should we remove the official Wine PPA before adding yours?
          It doesn't really matter since my version string is higher than theirs, so mine would install. The only problem is if they come out with a new version before I get a chance to update to the new version, and I usually do this within six hours.

So, no you don't have to do but if you run update and upgrade in the window where the offical wine PPA updates before I update to override it, you will lose the nine version until I update my PPA.

Comment

• Hello,

I've got some questions:

I thought using the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA would result in always running the latest open source GPU drivers.

But the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA currently does not seem to have the latest xserver-xorg-video-ati (xf86-video-ati) driver.

The latest version of the xserver-xorg-video-ati (xf86-video-ati) driver is 7.5.0 according to:

But the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA only comes with version 7.4.99.

So, after doing some search, I came across the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA. And this one does have version 7.5.99.

So, I am wondering:

Is there any specific reason why the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA only comes with version 7.4.99 whereas the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA comes with version 7.5.99?

And why do both PPAs have a .99 at the end of the version numbering, even though the xf86-video-ati page mentions a .0 at the end?

And some more questions:

Should the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA be used together with the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA?

And:

In a recent Phoronix article the following PPA was mentioned:

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Is the paulo-miguel-dias/mesa PPA better than the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA? Or what is it all about?

It would be much appreciated if someone could answer those questions.

Regards

Comment

• i guess you must ask paulo what exactly he changed as he is basing his stuff on oibafs ppa.

Comment

• Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post
                Hello,

I've got some questions:

I thought using the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA would result in always running the latest open source GPU drivers.

But the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA currently does not seem to have the latest xserver-xorg-video-ati (xf86-video-ati) driver.

The latest version of the xserver-xorg-video-ati (xf86-video-ati) driver is 7.5.0 according to:

But the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA only comes with version 7.4.99.

So, after doing some search, I came across the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA. And this one does have version 7.5.99.

So, I am wondering:

Is there any specific reason why the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA only comes with version 7.4.99 whereas the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA comes with version 7.5.99?

And why do both PPAs have a .99 at the end of the version numbering, even though the xf86-video-ati page mentions a .0 at the end?

And some more questions:

Should the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA be used together with the xorg-edgers/ppa PPA?

And:

In a recent Phoronix article the following PPA was mentioned:

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Is the paulo-miguel-dias/mesa PPA better than the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA? Or what is it all about?

It would be much appreciated if someone could answer those questions.

Regards
                my ppa is based on oibaf work but differs in a few ways.
                mine has llvm 3.6 git, oibaf is 3.5.x. i separated nine in proper libs instead of bundling it in mesa libs package, so you can have both or just plain mesa. also, since i use this ppa myself and i have an hybrid laptop, intel/ati i usually give it a good test and try to keep stuff usable yet cutting edge.
                finally the drivers have .99+timestamp at the end because they are compiled from daily git.

Comment

• I have installed the latest version from the paa and installed the video decoding driver but he still use for vaapi the vdpau backend (where mpv segfault). if i compile mesa by myself he use the correct vaapi state tracker.

I use a Mobile Radeon HD3650

Code:
                  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV635
                  OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-043b794 2014-12-07 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
                  OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                  OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                  OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                  OpenGL core profile extensions:
                  OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-043b794 2014-12-07 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                  OpenGL context flags: (none)
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-043b794 2014-12-07 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
                  OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0
                  OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Comment

• Interesting update today. Somehow I get OpenGL 3.3 on my old Dell laptop with intel intel ironlake graphic card. It was OpenGL 2.1 before. But the PC is also a lot more slugguish as a result. Firefox scrolling is now very slow and choppy. Oh well, too bad. I am restoring to yesterday's image.

Code:
                    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)
                    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-c6e8d2c 2014-12-16 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
                    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                    OpenGL core profile extensions:
                    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-c6e8d2c 2014-12-16 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                    OpenGL context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL extensions:
                    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.5.0-devel (git-c6e8d2c 2014-12-16 trusty-oibaf-ppa)
                    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
                    OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Comment

• VDPAU working for even me!

Just to note that I have VDPAU working well as of testing today. I've seen updates to mesa-vdpau stuff pretty much daily, so I'm not sure how long its been working, but this is why I bought my Bonaire in mid 2013 - the promise of VDPAU from an open-source driver. Developers of these drivers rock. Oibaf, you rock too. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X