Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    I disabled -mtune=generic, since it seems there is no progress on upstream bug. Please test and let me know if it is faster now.
    Yep, issue gone, thanks

Comment

• dri3 is now present and running since todays update of ubntus X11 server and drivers to 1.16.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        I disabled -mtune=generic, since it seems there is no progress on upstream bug. Please test and let me know if it is faster now.
        Yeah use that as temporary workaround because it is better (not the best) for most users/apps, but it is not fixed - 32bit glretrace still shows the issue so i guess some other (lets hope minority ) 32bit apps out there will show the issue too .

I promised i will open a separete bug for that, but didn't have a time and actually just forgot about it

Comment

• Fabio, any chance you could update linux-firmware package to include this
          https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...74a28c2753f184

Comment

• updated linux-firmware

Comment

• Originally posted by pvautrin View Post
              Fabio, any chance you could update linux-firmware package to include this
              https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...74a28c2753f184
              Is this firmware for old RADEON 3200HD?

Comment

• Originally posted by gogo View Post
                Is this firmware for old RADEON 3200HD?
                Yes, it is rs780

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                You might try doing the same for 64bit too , because i found that this also prevent unpredictable lockups

Comment

• Hi there,

Recently there have been problems under Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity) with RadeonSI (HD 7770). Things generally seem more sluggish than they were a few months down the road. Also, with today's update, the screen, window borders, panel, and launcher all flicker when you drag windows around the screen.

I have tried enabling/disabling HyperZ; doesn't seem to make a difference.

Purged the drivers for now; will check back in in a few days. I'm sure the problems are just getting brought in from upstream, and it's nothing in particular you're doing. Regardless, thanks for your dedication to this PPA! I've definitely gotten more good out of it than bad.

It's AMD's fault we have to resort to projects like this anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmickelonis View Post
                    Hi there,

Recently there have been problems under Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity) with RadeonSI (HD 7770). Things generally seem more sluggish than they were a few months down the road. Also, with today's update, the screen, window borders, panel, and launcher all flicker when you drag windows around the screen.

I have tried enabling/disabling HyperZ; doesn't seem to make a difference.

Purged the drivers for now; will check back in in a few days. I'm sure the problems are just getting brought in from upstream, and it's nothing in particular you're doing. Regardless, thanks for your dedication to this PPA! I've definitely gotten more good out of it than bad.

It's AMD's fault we have to resort to projects like this anyway.
                    Project like this is being worked on by AMD employees aswell, it's just not enough of them to make changes and fix bugs faster.

As for Ubuntu, you should try 14.10 beta - is very stable and has latest X.org 1.16 which brings huge performance increase all over the place (also removes all microstuttering or sluggishness). Oh and I have same gpu as you, so most def worth a try

Comment

• Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                      Project like this is being worked on by AMD employees aswell, it's just not enough of them to make changes and fix bugs faster.

As for Ubuntu, you should try 14.10 beta - is very stable and has latest X.org 1.16 which brings huge performance increase all over the place (also removes all microstuttering or sluggishness). Oh and I have same gpu as you, so most def worth a try
                      Oh really? That's great news! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do that.

Is Unity actually ready in 14.10? Last I checked only the flavors (like Gnome, XFCE...) were ready/somewhat stable.

Comment

Working...
                      X