Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jmickelonis View Post
    Hi there,

    Recently there have been problems under Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity) with RadeonSI (HD 7770). Things generally seem more sluggish than they were a few months down the road. Also, with today's update, the screen, window borders, panel, and launcher all flicker when you drag windows around the screen.

    I have tried enabling/disabling HyperZ; doesn't seem to make a difference.

    Purged the drivers for now; will check back in in a few days. I'm sure the problems are just getting brought in from upstream, and it's nothing in particular you're doing. Regardless, thanks for your dedication to this PPA! I've definitely gotten more good out of it than bad.

    It's AMD's fault we have to resort to projects like this anyway.
    Project like this is being worked on by AMD employees aswell, it's just not enough of them to make changes and fix bugs faster.

    As for Ubuntu, you should try 14.10 beta - is very stable and has latest X.org 1.16 which brings huge performance increase all over the place (also removes all microstuttering or sluggishness). Oh and I have same gpu as you, so most def worth a try

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gutigen View Post
      Project like this is being worked on by AMD employees aswell, it's just not enough of them to make changes and fix bugs faster.

      As for Ubuntu, you should try 14.10 beta - is very stable and has latest X.org 1.16 which brings huge performance increase all over the place (also removes all microstuttering or sluggishness). Oh and I have same gpu as you, so most def worth a try
      Oh really? That's great news! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do that.

      Is Unity actually ready in 14.10? Last I checked only the flavors (like Gnome, XFCE...) were ready/somewhat stable.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        You might try doing the same for 64bit too , because i found that this also prevent unpredictable lockups
        Can you open a new bug against mesa? This is a different and more serious issue, disabling -mtune=generic probably just hide the real issue.

        Also it would be nice if you can bisect the slowdown issue, backporting the corruption fix to previous commits to be able to do a proper bisect.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          Also it would be nice if you can bisect the slowdown issue, backporting the corruption fix to previous commits to be able to do a proper bisect.
          I already do that mentioned here https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83436#c11

          Maybe it is not clear so : first bad 07c65b85eada8dd34019763b6e82ed4257a9b4a6 !!! Apply 8898fff46cbf62baf4f924b6e8f537a9b1b26fa5 and 150ac07b855b5c5f879bf6ce9ca421ccd1a6c938 to first bad one to fix corruption - and issue is there .

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            I already do that mentioned here https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83436#c11

            Maybe it is not clear so : first bad 07c65b85eada8dd34019763b6e82ed4257a9b4a6 !!! Apply 8898fff46cbf62baf4f924b6e8f537a9b1b26fa5 and 150ac07b855b5c5f879bf6ce9ca421ccd1a6c938 to first bad one to fix corruption - and issue is there .
            I tought it is obvious to developers what triggers it there , i can do kernel bisect too if it is really needed between 3.15 and 3.16 kernels but i guess it would be also not a clear one .
            Last edited by dungeon; 09-18-2014, 01:05 PM.

            Comment


            • What's up with GalliumNine? Oibaf GalliumNine PPA not updated in 6 days, GalliumNine website down... odd.

              Comment


              • Gallium nine alive and kicking, don't worry
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                  What's up with GalliumNine? Oibaf GalliumNine PPA not updated in 6 days, GalliumNine website down... odd.
                  don't worry, website is running again and as darkbasic said, we working on it Getting closer to DRI3 support

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by okias View Post
                    don't worry, website is running again and as darkbasic said, we working on it Getting closer to DRI3 support
                    Ufff, awesome

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                      Ufff, awesome
                      this is a 1337 post... and i cited it :P

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X