No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests for mpv.

On topic: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc0NTY
    @oibaf: will you move to LLVM 3.5?

Comment

• Was there a reason why LLVM 3.5 wasn't being used currently (no offense or anything)? Was it just time constraints, or maybe it broke support for other hardware?

3.5 seems like it would be pretty useful for radeonsi, and seems like it would fit right in with the already git mesa and xserver drivers.

Comment

• I must say that I'm quite impressed by the latest performance of the radeonsi driver (oibaf's ppa packages recompiled with llvm 3.5 and linux 3.16, latest rc). Maybe like a month ago Eurotruck simulator 2 was so sloooow and now it performs quite close to what I remember from Catalyst (it's been several months since I last checked that on my dual ubuntu with catalyst). The game feels quite smooth with a Radeon HD 7870 and all settings maxed out at 1920x1080.

X-Plane 10 also works quite nicely at 1920x1080 if you launch it with %command% --force_run --no_fbos
        (Not sure why but without --no_fbos the game prints out a problem with a texture... I'll try to investigate that)

So kudos to the radeonsi devs!

Comment

• Hey. Long time Linux user but new to the desktop stack / Xorg etc...

I picked up a new Lenovo Z50 with the AMD A10-7300 Kaveri because I wanted to check out the new HSA features. I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on it and so far everything has gone smoothly (altho I had to boot "nomodeset nolapic").

One problem was that X was running with a software renderer so I tried installing the PPA radeonsi drivers but nothing changed. I'm not sure if my problem is that the chip is too new, or if I did something wrong, but since I've never done this before and don't have any understanding about how Xorg/Gallium/PPA all fit together I'm not sure how to debug this.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Here's the Xorg.0.log.

And here's glxinfo

Code:
          $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
          OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
          OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0-devel (git-fb237ba trusty-oibaf-ppa)
          OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
          OpenGL context flags: (none)
          OpenGL extensions:

Comment

• Originally posted by starcrossed View Post
            Hey. Long time Linux user but new to the desktop stack / Xorg etc...

I picked up a new Lenovo Z50 with the AMD A10-7300 Kaveri because I wanted to check out the new HSA features. I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on it and so far everything has gone smoothly (altho I had to boot "nomodeset nolapic").

One problem was that X was running with a software renderer so I tried installing the PPA radeonsi drivers but nothing changed. I'm not sure if my problem is that the chip is too new, or if I did something wrong, but since I've never done this before and don't have any understanding about how Xorg/Gallium/PPA all fit together I'm not sure how to debug this.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Here's the Xorg.0.log.

And here's glxinfo

Code:
            $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
            OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
            OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0-devel (git-fb237ba trusty-oibaf-ppa)
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
            OpenGL context flags: (none)
            OpenGL extensions:
            Have you checked if glamor (xserver-xorg-glamoregl and libglamor) is installed?

Comment

• Originally posted by starcrossed View Post
              nomodeset disables the driver. remove that otherwise the driver won't load.

Comment

• Updates

Some recent updates:
                • added some updated packages (vaapi library and intel driver, mesa-utils 8.2, libvdpau);
                • mesa now uses megadrivers also for gallium drivers, this saves many MB in the packages;
                • ubuntu 13.10/saucy reached end of life, packages for it cannot be provided anymore.

About llvm 3.5 I know it's available, unfortunately the building on launchpad fails because it requires more hard disk space on the building machine, see the build log in my test PPA:

This looks a known issue:
                Hi, im trying to compile the llvm stack from a git snapshot, in order to provide up-to-date mesa builds for radeon and intel. unfortunatelly , amd64 builds are failing because the build vm doesnt have enough space to handle the entire llvm stack. See https://launchpadlibrarian.net/174016897/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-amd64.llvm-toolchain-snapshot_1%3A3.5~svn207246-3~padoka4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz the ppa is here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/llvm-snapshot/+packages is there...

Once this get fixed I'll upload llvm 3.5 and build mesa against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  Some recent updates:[LIST]
                  About llvm 3.5 I know it's available, unfortunately the building on launchpad fails because it requires more hard disk space on the building machine, see the build log in my test PPA:

This looks a known issue:
                  Hi, im trying to compile the llvm stack from a git snapshot, in order to provide up-to-date mesa builds for radeon and intel. unfortunatelly , amd64 builds are failing because the build vm doesnt have enough space to handle the entire llvm stack. See https://launchpadlibrarian.net/174016897/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-amd64.llvm-toolchain-snapshot_1%3A3.5~svn207246-3~padoka4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz the ppa is here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/llvm-snapshot/+packages is there...

Once this get fixed I'll upload llvm 3.5 and build mesa against it.
                  If that is a problem why don't you try just disabling building debug packages temporarily for example .

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    If that is a problem why don't you try just disabling building debug packages temporarily for example .
                    This is also an alternative, if someone do it I can then copy it in my PPA.

Comment

• Did you look at Pali's PPA packages? As i see he maintain daily graphics packages for Precise only, but he has llvm-3.5 builded for both i386/amd64... some debian snaphot from last month based, that is better then 3.4 .

Daily builds of updated open source graphics drivers for Ubuntu Precise 12.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                      X