Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German RadeonHD Hacker To Start R600 Gallium3D VDPAU

Phoronix: German RadeonHD Hacker To Start R600 Gallium3D VDPAU

Christian K?nig, the independent German developer who's known for being the first to provide open-source Radeon HDMI audio support back in the RadeonHD driver days and later to KMS, last October began working on R600 Gallium3D video acceleration. He quickly brought up XvMC R600g video acceleration when porting some of the earlier XvMC R300g work. While not yet merged to mainline, XvMC on R600 Gallium3D is usable, but now he's looking towards his next target: VDPAU support for the R600 Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Video output of a 1920x1080 video now uses something around ~20% CPU time on my old test system, compared to ~50% with Xv, including all the nice features like overlay menu rendering for example (ok only working with mplayer right now, not xine)."
    That sounds great, and is more than I expected from XvMC. This would make most 1080p videos playable on a single core.

Does anyone know how much work it is to enable this code? I lost track. It's in a separate branch, right?

Comment

Is he going to work on r300g or r600g? What about ATI Avivo?

Comment

He started on VDPAU a few weeks ago. He's not just starting now.

Comment

Yeah I second that

You can see his work here from over a month ago

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
            Is he going to work on r300g or r600g? What about ATI Avivo?
            He is working on r600g.

-----------------

I hope the xvmc code will get merged soon to master.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              He is working on r600g.

-----------------

I hope the xvmc code will get merged soon to master.
              afaik a state tracker is supposed to work on all G3D HW

why is this supposed to be limited to R600??

Comment

maybe because its only working on r600g currently? and you need some ddx changes.

Comment

And an state tracker does not mean all gallium drivers can use it. If an st require features that the hardware doesn't support it cant be working.

Comment

rejoice people....

...who have a mythtv/xmbc media centre with a integrated r600g driven chip set )))))))))

just the news of progress will be welcome, even if it remains out of the main line mesa for a while - hopeully various major distro packers and bridge that gap.

Comment

Working...
                    X