No announcement yet.

We need a Campaign for OpenGL Patent Exemptions for OSS, namely Mesa, and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh. I can't believe how much time I've spent arguing this. Something is wrong with me that I feel the need to argue on the Internet with people who have no impact on anything I actually do.

Let's just say I'm totally wrong and filled with crack and you're all right and are geniuses who know everything, and I can get back to writing real code and you guys can get back to whatever it is you do.

Out.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Unigine's Heaven demo runs at 60% of the speed on the OpenGL mode as it does in Direct3D 11.
      Bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Let's just say I'm totally wrong and filled with crack and you're all right and are geniuses who know everything,
        I can TOTALLY buy that

And yes, for all the fun in arguing, you are right that it's quite fruitless in this particular case.

Still, if companies like NVidia and ATI are having problems creating stable OpenGL drivers then they themselves are to blame since they are actually part of Khronos and thus in a position to actually change the situation, since they help define the api which they are later to implement (atleast in theory, given that they could be outvoted). So if you are right then they (NVidia, ATI, etc) are either incompetent or being blocked by incompetent/malicious members?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          but why do you benchmark windows 32bit vs Linux 64bit ?
          overall 64bit win in 80% of the cases ...
          so your benchmark is useless.

and your "bullshit" writing is just fake because you cheat your own benchmark and then arguing on that faked base.
          It is not benched with Windows 32-bit. Read man read or get your eyes checked, it is ran on Windows 7 64. The windows version is only a 32-bit binary. There is no 64-bit binary for windows of the Heaven Benchmark. Further more look at the two windows runs, same OS, both running the same binary and there is a DX and GL run so as usual Q you have no idea what you are talking about.
          Last edited by deanjo; 09 April 2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            It is not benched with Windows 32-bit. Read man read or get your eyes checked, it is ran on Windows 7 64. The windows version is only a 32-bit binary. There is no 64-bit binary for windows of the Heaven Benchmark. Further more look at the two windows runs, same OS, both running the same binary and there is a DX and GL run so as usual Q you have no idea what you are talking about.
            I think Q was referring to a 32bit build being used on windows, vs a 64bit build being used under linux. He's right that you can't compare those particular two.
            You can, of course, compare between 32bit windows dx11 and 32bit windows opengl. Performance wise, the two should be fairly similar (there's practically no difference in performance between the two API's on a desktop system today) - assuming each code path has been written sanely.
            Note that I said desktop - I'm leaving areas such as smartphones, consoles, embedded systems out of this.

Comment

ok i was wrong in reading about the 32bit windows but "The windows version is only a 32-bit binary." means the same shit other way arround.

you can not compare an 32bit shitty app against an 64bit nativ app.
              READ AGAIN!

There are two windows runs. One with the DX Renderer and one openGL run. Compare those two if you think it makes such a big difference running the benchmark in 64-bit vs 32-bit. Ignore the linux run! The comparison is perfectly 100% valid! There is no "Unigine's Heaven demo runs at 60% of the speed on the OpenGL mode as it does in Direct3D 11." Again the statement is bullshit.
              Last edited by deanjo; 10 April 2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

you can not compare an 32bit shitty app against an 64bit nativ app.

And FYI, there is virtually no difference with Unigine Heaven running the 32-bit blob or the 64-bit blob or running it in a 64-bit or 32-bit environment.

All in all Q your comments are meaningless and full of bullshit as well.

Comment

In fact here are some updated results using Heaven 2.5

Total deviation between 4 tests, Win 7 DX11, Win 7 openGL, Linux 32 and Linux 64 is .5% which falls well into a negligible difference due to no 2 results will ever be identical because of items like background apps/services, spread spectrum deviation, clock drift, etc, etc.

Comment

Hm, weren't they supposed to be optimizing it, yet the new version is 7 fps slower on a monster system.

Comment

Well, elanthis said OpenGL is like 60% the performance of DX, but when other folks provided benchmarks proving otherwise - others now claim those benchmarks can't be trusted. So I ask those people to then provide benchmarks which can be trusted and which clearly show that OpenGL is like 60% of DX. Please do.

Also, elanthis needs to stop eating steroids and get his head examined or get a life. As even the Unigine Engine benchmarks show it's neither as slow nor as unstable as the catastrophic pictures he's painting, if he was a girl I'd think he's got the critical monthly .. you know.. period. Also his claims that OpenGL stopped evolving a decade ago (when only last 2-3 years there were GL 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.0, 4.1) are just as weird and full of paranoia and self-defined meaning of words to prove his point that OGL doesn't evolve.

I'm learning OpenGL 3.3, but coming from Java I can tell you that OpenGL's API is well thought and there's not tons of deprecated stuff in OpenGL like in Java so it's not so hopeless as he implies. Yet I managed to create cool stuff in Java that my clients simply *LOVE*, so since OpenGL's API is even cleaner and meaner in this aspect and has a lot less cruft - I can use it with C++ to create amazing stuff. The API itself is good enough and allows for creating stuff that runs pretty much as fast as DX.
                      But elanthis keeps painting a catastrophic picture of OpenGL whenever anyone doesn't agree with his paranoid (as shown by benchmarks and elsewhere) worldview.

Comment

Working...
                      X