Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Files Patches For Floating-Point In Mesa Master

Phoronix: Marek Files Patches For Floating-Point In Mesa Master

Forget about the fun being had today on April Fools' Day with openSUSE / Gentoo / Arch / Debian supposedly merging to form the Centerbury Linux distribution, GNOME 3.0 being delayed until September, or hypothetical Linux disasters as there is actually some serious and important news: Marek Ol??k has published his patch-set he wishes to push into Mesa master for OpenGL 3.0 floating-point textures and render-buffers support. He's pushing for this legally-iffy code to go into the mainline Mesa code-base but to block it by an opt-in --enable-texture-float build flag...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this will get merged. I noticed that the other half of Marek's floating point branch got merged a couple days ago. It was the color_buffer extension which has something to do with clamping.

Hopefully all this can be quickly ported to r600g.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      Hopefully all this can be quickly ported to r600g.
      this is what i wanted to ask

does the patches work on all gallium cards right???

Either way thumbs up and czech beers for marek

Comment

According to my git-log scanning,

r300g cards are totally supported.
        Nouveau guy ported some or all of the current merged stuff in nv50/nvc0.
        r600g don't have anything in yet

Comment

I just had an idea today...

This involves sending floating point to the GPU right? What if it was a big fsckin integer, with a float flag and a comma position flag, then hack the firmware to calculate that as float?

Does this circumvent the patent?

Comment

If that's all there is to it, then I have to ask: why is there a patent on sending floating point numbers to a GPU in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
              If that's all there is to it, then I have to ask: why is there a patent on sending floating point numbers to a GPU in the first place?
              I think it's floating-point encoded textures, which may cover some kind of codec. It's probably all bullshit anyway, but there's a risk involved in using it without written permission and there goes a lot of money in defending yourself from patent infringement, even if it's bullshit.

The real problem with patents is that they accept anything to be patented nowadays.

Comment

Nice. In after character limit.

Comment

Let's hope this gets in

I don't understand at all why h.264 patented code was agreed to be allowed in (not compiled by default) but they have an issue with this code doing the same thing.

Was the h.264 decision reversed later? Are people making different decisions on a patent-by-patent basis? It would be nice if they clarified their position and set down some hard rules about how it should be handled. Even if it's just "this will never happen" at least that would clarify things for anyone who wants to contribute.

Comment

No wait; I got a better idea... Assume double float, then have the firmware round it of to this 'unprecise float'.

AMD still has to have a license, but Mesa/Gallium is in the clear because it obviously supersedes this 'invention'.

And last but not least it's new prior art to combat future bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                    X