No announcement yet.

Marek Files Patches For Floating-Point In Mesa Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect main parts may easily be ported to r600g. First focusing on the base (prior r600 chips) and then go advance (porting features to r600g) makes sense to my mind.
    Though, I don't think Marek is following that strategy. It's more or less a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Care to elaborate? The pipe-video stuff (based on Younes Manton's GSoC project I think) is mostly related to MPEG2. And the new work being done in this year's GSoC is mostly related to VP8 and other open formats. Are my assumptions on what's in pipe-video wrong?

I am not aware of H.264-related code present in Mesa, but I guess I could be missing something.
      No, you're correct that there is no code in Mesa yet. I'm referring to a face-to-face meeting Mesa devs had back in 2008 (i think) where the decision was supposedly agreed to that an h.264 decoder could be allowed in as long as it was not compiled by default. That hasn't happened yet, but as far as i know it's only because of a lack of developers working on it, not because of patent concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by gzed View Post
        Thanks for the update Marek!

One question for you though: why are you working for R3XX HW only?
        Is it so much easier to program than R6XX?

Cheers
        There are several reasons for this:
        - I like my r500 hw.
        - I know the hw and the driver code very well.
        - The driver is so stable, fast, and superior to any other gallium driver that it's a good reference driver for testing other pieces of Mesa.
        - I am unpaid, so I do what I consider useful to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          - I like my r500 hw.
          - The driver is so stable, fast, and superior to any other gallium driver that it's a good reference driver for testing other pieces of Mesa.
          Fair enough Marek.

I wasn't criticizing the fact, I was just being a curious cat :P

I was considering donating R6XX class HW to you, but it will probably become paperweight considering your last reply.

R6XX or not I admire your constant work on mesa/gallium.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gzed View Post
            I was considering donating R6XX class HW to you, but it will probably become paperweight considering your last reply.
            Not needed, I own at least one card from each generation up to evergreen and I did work on r600g in the past (was optimizing vertex uploads and made lightsmark 3x faster).

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
              - I like my r500 hw.
              All very good reasons, not that I doubted. I've still got an x300 laying around in one of my laptops, so you'll get no arguments here.

Work on the hardware you know best. It's a better use of time than learning an entirely new chip architecture, especially when some of the commits directly improve all gallium drivers.

Well, since you've got the hardware angle covered, the first beer's on me if we ever meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                Well, since you've got the hardware angle covered, the first beer's on me if we ever meet.
                Yep, I guess he has loads promises of "free beer" from all around the globe. Marek, you should start travelling!

Let me know if you do and I'll get a round or two for you as well!
                Oh, and the same goes for Corbin and Christian (if he finishes the h264 decoder )!

Comment

Working...
                X