An OpenGL 4.1 Gallium3D State Tracker Was Just Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Getting into FOSS just for the money? boy, I hate GSOC. It has corrupted the whole FOSS community.
    Either he wants to develop that, then he should do it right now and not ?maybe in summer if I get accepted?.
    FAIL!

(who pays the bills while spending time on this task? Developing a state tracker beside the job...? ha ha)

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
      ... OpenGL 3/4 linux implementation is stopped by those f***ed patents.
      Will be ever possible to do something GL3/4 without having to pay someone $ 1,241,452,883,945,814,664,741,093 for every single working OpenGL thing + 3,121,532 years in prison on Pluto (years of Pluto, not Earth)?
      This guy is French. As most of the world doesn't live in USA, most of the world doesn't have to bother with software patent infringement and paying fees or spend time in jail for such dumb reasons. Also even if only the half of the specification could be implemented, that would be a win for the linux graphic stack.

But this guy is way too ambitious. You can follow one of its project here http://www.logram-project.org/, also very very very very (...) ambitious, a translation of the beginning of the introduction : "Logram is a GNU/Linux distribution project which aim is to bring, if possible, a new impulse to the (F)OSS ecosystem."

I think that aiming at an efficient OpenGL ES 2.0 or OpenGL3.x implementation would have been more reasonable (even if still very ambitious).

Anyway,
      Je lui souhaite bonne chance !

Comment

It would be cool if parts of this work were made available in a library, like egl, so that projects like Wayland could use it.

Comment

It seems like he has the knowledge, a plan with clear cut milestones and the right spirit. He _has_ to be overly ambitious to face the work.

If he doesn't get it finnished, he at least layed down the groundwork. This is FLOSS you know.

I also read about some stupid corruption comment. In the summer students need to work tovearn money for college and other things. He needs time as well so why not apply for GSoC?

I wish him the best of luck and I like to see his idea turn into a working state tracker! ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
            I think the laws on software patents in Belgium are much saner than in the US. It might not be an issue for him.
            Fwiw, I guess this might actually fall under US law since he'd do this work as a Google employee.

I'm not a lawyer though and this is just an assumption of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
              This guy is French.
              Last time I checked we were not invaded by the French.

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
                I think the laws on software patents in Belgium are much saner than in the US. It might not be an issue for him.
                Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
                This guy is French. As most of the world doesn't live in USA, most of the world doesn't have to bother with software patent infringement and paying fees or spend time in jail for such dumb reasons.
                I think you guys are missing the point. Because of the patent issues support like this cannot be enabled by default in most distros leaving the end user to compile items from scratch if they wish to have that support enabled.

Comment

Finally, someone who doesn't want to put up with Mesa's insane bureaucracy. I am glad someone is actually doing something, rather than worrying about software patents, of which in court could probably all be proven as prior art.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                    Finally, someone who doesn't want to put up with Mesa's insane bureaucracy. I am glad someone is actually doing something, rather than worrying about software patents, of which in court could probably all be proven as prior art.
                    Got any proof of that "prior art" statement?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Got any proof of that "prior art" statement?
                      What should I attack first?

Comment

Working...
                      X