Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe Gallium3D Is Used In Fedora 15

Phoronix: LLVMpipe Gallium3D Is Used In Fedora 15

Fedora 15 is gearing up to be another great release from the Red Hat camp with new features like Linux power management improvements, full systemd integration, SPICE support for virt-manager, and consistent network device naming, among many other features. When it comes to open-source graphics drivers, Fedora tends to be on the leading edge of development seeing as Red Hat employs some of the key developers like David Airlie and Jerome Glisse. With Fedora 15, besides shipping with all of the latest kernel / X / Mesa bits, there is one interesting change that's gone largely unnoticed from their feature lists, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the Gallium3D driver (600g) for AMD cards? Will it be enabled by default / possible to install & activate? Or is it not ready yet to replace the older driver?

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
      I'm testing Fedora 15 on my Radeon HD 3200 and it shows "Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780" below System Settings->System Information.

Comment

2.6.38 kernel

Fedora 15 is using 2.6.38 kernel RC releases, and kernel-2.6.38-0.rc8.git0.1.fc15 is available in fedora-updates-testing repo, if you have F15 Alpha installed.

I recommend people install kernel-2.6.38-0.rc8.git0.1.fc15 at least, to get fixes for various issues. My
        ATI cards have issues that seem specific to the default -rc5 that work in other 2.6.38 release candidate builds.

I am happy with F15 Alpha, but I haven't pushed it too hard against the recommended tests.

Comment

Just to confirm, under System Info, my graphics is displayed as "Chipset: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770". glxinfo shows the same.

kernel 2.6.28-rc8
          mesa 7.10
          xorg-x11-drv-ati (radeon) driver 6.14
          libdrm 2.4.24

All leads to nice OSS ATI support

Comment

Working...
          X