• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Patches Published For Merging S3TC Library Into Mesa

Patches Published For Merging S3TC Library Into Mesa

Phoronix: Patches Published For Merging S3TC Library Into Mesa

It's a slightly more interesting Sunday than usual. Besides working on a large file-system comparison (Linux 2.6.38 w/ EXT3, EXT4, XFS, JFS, Btrfs, etc) and new OpenBenchmarking.org features, there's an interesting development regarding the topic from earlier today about patented OpenGL support within Mesa. Not only has the email thread about integrating floating point textures support been resurrected, but another developer has now pushed patches that would integrate the S3TC texture compression library in Mesa while living behind the --enable-patented switch...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE3OQ

• VinzC
    replied
    What are the (software) products concerned by GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc? Are they an increasing number? Is it the only texture compression method/standard?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by mmoo View Post
    Stop thinking+discussing too much and just ASK them!

First ask S3 (or whoever has the patent now). And in the worst case, here is another scenario: look at Blender; people bought it and opensourced it. Just a thought.
    http://www.mesa3d.org/faq.html#part4

See 4.3

Leave a comment:

• mmoo
    replied
    I am not involved in mesa development, so I won't do what I am going to propose, but here is my simple question to everyone involved in mesa or whoever has the time:
    Did anyone even try to ask the patent-guys from S3 if it's ok to implement their technology in mesa??
    Maybe we finally get an answer and if so, it is either of
    • "yeah, no problem, as mesa is a free project" (so mesa can use it directly)
    • "we had a patent on this? uh, we don't care" (so mesa can use it directly)
    • "yes, but noncommercial only" (so mesa can use it directly, maybe via configure-switch)
    • "absolutely not, we sue you instantly and kill your families!1!!" (so licensed users can use it via libdxtn)

Stop thinking+discussing too much and just ASK them!

First ask S3 (or whoever has the patent now). And in the worst case, here is another scenario: look at Blender; people bought it and opensourced it. Just a thought.

btw: Companies gather patents just to protect themselves from other companies with patents:
    Corp. A: "Hey B, you released some product and we patented technology X you use!1!!"
    Corp. B: "Well, but you use technology Y and we patented this"
    Corp. A: "hm, oh well... so we're even, carry on, we were only kidding"
    Look at early Microsoft/Sun/whatever... they simply used to be techies and did not care about patents. All this patent trolling occurred later.
    If you'd ask S3, we knew if they are like Evil Corp A or not.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It doesn't matter squat what the standard says if 80%+ of apps require that.
    Yeah, but you can't blame the OpenGL spec for that.

You can blame them for the floating point stuff, though.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by oibaf View Post
    Note that S3TC is not required by any OpenGL versions. Floats are, however.
    It doesn't matter squat what the standard says if 80%+ of apps require that.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    there is some rumoring that mark shuttleworth will buy the floading point hdr+s3tc patent to bring freedome to the os driver world.
    haha yeah riiight

mark shuttleworth wants to save the (free) world

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Originally posted by VinzC View Post
    I still don't understand/admit how a so called Open specification can have been tainted by software patents. Call that ClosedGL or don't-touch-it-GL instead.
    Note that S3TC is not required by any OpenGL versions. Floats are, however.

Leave a comment:

• VinzC
    replied
    Originally posted by Plombo View Post
    No. The software implementation is patent-encumbered, not just the hardware implementation.
    I still don't understand/admit how a so called Open specification can have been tainted by software patents. Call that ClosedGL or don't-touch-it-GL instead.

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    what? You mean something like:
    http://www.medibuntu.org/ ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X