Pressing On For Mesa Floating Point Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
    If they don't merge it, we'll have to fork mesa. It would be inevitable. Open source should never be restricted to a few selected people. Options should be made available to include as many people as possible.
    Yeah... best of luck with that. Are you planning to do the development after the fork?

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Wasn't that the reason XFree86 was forked and X.Org born?
    The fork happened ostensibly because of a licensing change, but also because of the difficulty in getting patches accepted. The new license, while only slightly changed, made it incompatible with the GPL.

There are lots of good articles about the whole saga, here's one http://www.osnews.com/story/6157/X-M...-of-Past-Year/

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    By the way, Matt Turner made an appearance in the thread. Nothing spectacular, just a little comment. ;-)
    This made me laugh out loud. Am I more important than I though?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      ... support into mainline Mesa but hiding these patented features behind ...
      Wikipedia (en, fr, de) does not mention something substantial about patent issues of OpenGL.

Not even on the discussion pages. It is not likely that the problem is (or can be) widely received!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        If they don't merge it, we'll have to fork mesa. It would be inevitable. Open source should never be restricted to a few selected people. Options should be made available to include as many people as possible.
        That's essentially what Marek has already done, maintaining support for this in his own private branch.

Now we just have to convince everyone to start using that branch instead of master - the distros won't because of patent concerns, but if we could get the popular 3rd party repositories to package it that would be a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          That's essentially what Marek has already done, maintaining support for this in his own private branch.

Now we just have to convince everyone to start using that branch instead of master - the distros won't because of patent concerns, but if we could get the popular 3rd party repositories to package it that would be a good start.
          Haha, no, that's not what it's like.

It's a branch, a git branch, which he's trying to get merged into the mesa. A fork isn't the same thing as a branch. He's not trying to get popular 3rd party repositories to carry his branch.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            Haha, no, that's not what it's like.

It's a branch, a git branch, which he's trying to get merged into the mesa. A fork isn't the same thing as a branch. He's not trying to get popular 3rd party repositories to carry his branch.
            He should. Dave Airlie's comment in the other thread is pretty concincing in that the Corporate Masters won't allow it in Mesa main.

Oh, and non-US-based distros too, they can then claim "Free OpenGL 3 out of the box!!", just like some distros did with Freetype when that was patented.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              He should. Dave Airlie's comment in the other thread is pretty concincing in that the Corporate Masters won't allow it in Mesa main.

Oh, and non-US-based distros too, they can then claim "Free OpenGL 3 out of the box!!", just like some distros did with Freetype when that was patented.
              Well, I always thinked MESA should have their own Foundation instead having Corporate Masters (TM). LibreOffice case made me think about it, the same about CUPS being owned by Apple (Computer) Inc.

Maybe in the future there should be a Libre Source Confederation? It seems something from the imagination of a Star Trek nerd, but who knows...

Comment

Code:
                Hey Linux user, you just installed Linux, but do you also want to have some badass OpenGL? (y/N)
                $y
                This requires that you have gcc installed. Do you want to install gcc? (Y/n)
                $Y
                .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. done!
                $_
                "No we don't ship it in a working state, sir. No the user has to explicitly state that he or she wants to compile and install it after the installation."
                Lol nice

Comment

Originally posted by frief View Post
                  Wikipedia (en, fr, de) does not mention something substantial about patent issues of OpenGL.

Not even on the discussion pages. It is not likely that the problem is (or can be) widely received!

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                    This made me laugh out loud. Am I more important than I though?
                    I guess that depends on how important you thought you were.

Just thought I'd mention it, since the thread was otherwise quiet. And sometimes it's quite an important job, breaking the ice.

Comment

Working...
                    X