Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Floating Point Textures Be Merged Into Mesa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, it seems as though Marek isn't interested in doing this. Or at least, if there are discussions going on they aren't on the mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Unfortunately, it seems as though Marek isn't interested in doing this. Or at least, if there are discussions going on they aren't on the mailing list.
      I really am interested in doing it, but I can't do anything without a consent of the others, and I have written enough on the subject already.

BTW the floating-point texture work was mostly done by Luca Barbieri, I've been only fixing bugs and keeping it in sync with the master branch.

Comment

Well, you've got one "yes", zero "no"s. Can't you just push? If no one complained in the list, why should they complain when pushing the code?

Comment

I've also got several no's in private emails and on IRC.

Comment

This needs to happen in public, not privately. It's supposed to be an OPEN project.

Private discussions suggest that there are ulterior motives why people working for some organizations say "no" privately but not in public.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              This needs to happen in public, not privately. It's supposed to be an OPEN project.

Private discussions suggest that there are ulterior motives why people working for some organizations say "no" privately but not in public.
              Try applying your brain to the problem space a bit, and you'll figure out that where lawyers are involved, privately is usually all you can say.

Ulterior motives are "don't get sued".

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                Try applying your brain to the problem space a bit, and you'll figure out that where lawyers are involved, privately is usually all you can say.

Dave.
                Am I supposed to take your word on it? Sorry, I won't. I need to see the discussion to judge that. For all I know, this all is a cabal trying to prevent Mesa from reaching GL3 compliance due to business interests.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Am I supposed to take your word on it? Sorry, I won't. I need to see the discussion to judge that. For all I know, this all is a cabal trying to prevent Mesa from reaching GL3 compliance due to business interests.
                  there is a major cabal stopping Mesa from reaching GL3 for business interests, its called Graphics Properties Holdings, they hold the SGI floating texture patent.

I didn't give my word, I gave a possible explanation, You might want to read up on Occam razor, or maybe you are probably trying to create the opposite "idiot's razor", pick the stupidest explanation a sub-100 IQ person could come up with and believe it.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Dave.
                    I really don't understand why "our lawyers say we can't do this or we'll get sued because of (A), (B), and (C)" would have to be kept private. Why can't those reasons be discussed publicly? Is it so people can plead ignorance later? Because if it was sent over email/irc or whatever, there's probably a copy floating around somewhere that a lawyer could find later.

I just don't understand why no one can sue the x264 project but Mesa is worried. You'll never convince me that the MPEG-LA is less interested in suing people than the people who own the graphics patents are.

Comment

However, i am glad to hear that this was at least discussed privately, and not just silently ignored by everyone like it seemed.

Comment

Working...
                      X