No announcement yet.

Mesa Can Do EXT_texture_compression_RGTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, I know it's easy to write articles about how far behind the free software drivers are, with statements like

Too bad though it will still be a long time before Mesa reaches any sort of parity in terms of OpenGL extension support or even provides proper OpenGL 3.x/4.x support, with the Gallium3D/Mesa drivers still effectively living in the OpenGL 2.1 world.
    but honestly, look at GL3.txt and then tell me how far off OpenGL 3 is.

There are not that many items left on that list, and most of what is left is there because of patent concerns.

And, does anyone even care about OpenGL 4 yet anyway?

Comment

I think the changes to GLSL and the support for integer texture formats is probably the largest work that remains.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
        I think the changes to GLSL and the support for integer texture formats is probably the largest work that remains.
        Didn't intel FOSS devs develop support for next GLSL version?

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
          And, does anyone even care about OpenGL 4 yet anyway?
          No, probably not yet, at least not to a big extent, but OpenGL3.3 is extremely interesting, and full support (albeit slow) for it would be great. Especially for the home-hackers, so we can test out OpenGL 3 and learn all the "new" stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            Didn't intel FOSS devs develop support for next GLSL version?
            Specify "next version".

Intel devs coded an entirely new GLSL compiler, that is certainly true. However this doesn't automatically give you support for every GLSL version out there.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
              Specify "next version".

Intel devs coded an entirely new GLSL compiler, that is certainly true. However this doesn't automatically give you support for every GLSL version out there.
              I see bits of it, in the mesa commit log.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                I see bits of it, in the mesa commit log.
                Intel devs claimed they would complete 1.3 support by the end of last year. That obviously didn't happen, but hopefully it's still on the way sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                X