A Batch Of Graphics Cards On Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    ta-spring works without s3tc... and without openGL3 effects.
    Really ? how disable S3TC on ta-spring ? On my machine with r600g the textures are corrupted !

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Michael, can you clarify what Phoronix's position on that is? Are you afraid of getting sued if you publish an article using ST3C? I seem to remember some a long time ago, but perhaps not.
      Because it's not "out of the box" configuration... While I'm sure there's a fair number of active Phoronix members that may install it, as far as overall Linux usage goes, how many people do you think will actually go forward and do it or even know about it? Not many at all.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
        Can you explain ? You mean libtxc_dxtn cannot run on 64 bits ? Sorry if I misunderstood.
        The problem is you need a 32-bit driver in order to accelerate those closed 32-bit apps, i.e. to get direct rendering. If you don't have it, indirect rendering is used, which doesn't have all the features Mesa has - it's stuck at OpenGL 1.4 with a lot less extensions. Things might work but the performance will suck to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Because it's not "out of the box" configuration... While I'm sure there's a fair number of active Phoronix members that may install it, as far as overall Linux usage goes, how many people do you think will actually go forward and do it or even know about it? Not many at all.
          i dont see the problem Michael, why dont you just make a small slax live CD/USB image available with the phoronix-test-suite and all the related app's made as modules etc.

and have a 3rd party (if you're to conservative to host them directly) make and host the S3TC and other related modules bits, that can be if wanted loaded locally or off a web site, just like any other slax module at runtime into the test run.

and then even people without knowing about them at the time can also try it and submit results.

there's already a Phoronix test Suite 1.8.1 slax module made for instance on that page

plus OC in you're case if you want to run many PCs on a LAN with the same options you can simply boot a single slax cd/USB with the included net boot server option and then boot any other PC off that LAN directly into the slax image that gets booted, simple so why not do it

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            The problem is you need a 32-bit driver in order to accelerate those closed 32-bit apps, i.e. to get direct rendering. If you don't have it, indirect rendering is used, which doesn't have all the features Mesa has - it's stuck at OpenGL 1.4 with a lot less extensions. Things might work but the performance will suck to say the least.
            It's a big information you give to me !
            So if I summarize, running ETQW/Doom3 on 64 bits-kernel + libGL.i686 is less optimized than running it on 32 bits-kernel + libGL.i686 ?

Comment

It's a big information you give to me !
              So if I summarize, running ETQW/Doom3 on 64 bits-kernel + libGL.i686 is less optimized than running it on 32 bits-kernel + libGL.i686 ?
              On a 64-bit kernel, you need 32-bit Mesa (libGL + driver) and 32-bit libtxc_dxtn, which is not out-of-the-box experience either. Otherwise 32-bit 3D apps will either crash, misrender, or be slow.

Comment

On a 64-bit kernel, you need 32-bit Mesa (libGL + driver) and 32-bit libtxc_dxtn, which is not out-of-the-box experience either. Otherwise 32-bit 3D apps will either crash, misrender, or be slow.
                OK, I understand. So in my case, on my system I currently have :
                - 64-bit kernel
                - both 64/32-bit libdrm packages
                - both 64/32-bit xorg-x11-drv-ati packages
                - both 64/32-bit mesa-dri-drivers, mesa-libGL and mesa-libGLU packages
                - both 64/32-bit libtxc_dxtn packages
                - a 32-bits game

I shouldn't expect 3D problems ?

Comment

OK, I understand. So in my case, on my system I currently have :
                  - 64-bit kernel
                  - both 64/32-bit libdrm packages
                  - both 64/32-bit xorg-x11-drv-ati packages
                  - both 64/32-bit mesa-dri-drivers, mesa-libGL and mesa-libGLU packages
                  - both 64/32-bit libtxc_dxtn packages
                  - a 32-bits game

I shouldn't expect 3D problems ?
                  Yes, it should be ok with that config. Better compile a 32-bit glxinfo and glxgears and see if you get direct rendering. I think you don't need 32-bit xorg-x11-drv-ati. Also libdrm is no longer required for Gallium.

Comment

Better compile a 32-bit glxinfo and glxgears and see if you get direct rendering.
                    Good idea, I will check.
                    Thank you for your answers.

Comment

intel rocks @ oss

Looking at this test and some other phoronix graphics tests it seems to me that using a discrete graphics card (other than X1xxx) with an opensource driver provides only minimal advantage over running an 2500K igp (exluding lightsmark). just stunning. or did i get the wrong impression?

Comment

Working...
                      X