A Bounty For Gallium3D On Haiku OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    lol so THATS where you're getting the idea that beos would be more successful if it had the chance. but if what you said were true then linux would have failed years ago. also, what i'm saying is 2011 is the year linux will begin to see some major progress and adoption. i'm not saying its THE year OF linux, because it unquestionably isn't.

BEOS may never have been sucessful, but it also might have been had microsoft not actively squashed it. Its nice to try and quarter back last saturadays game, but it doesn't change the outcome.

success is a relative perspective. to me, linux is competing very nicely against windows. like i said before, one of the reasons linux's success is hindered is because of its varieties. from what i gather, you see something as being good if its functionality, performance, appearance, and compatibility are consistent. beos kind of has its own... everything, making it function, perform, look, and operate consistently. other than solaris, its basically the only open-source OS that is actually consistent.
    so is this what you're getting at?
    Linux is not competitng with windows, in any fashion what so ever on the desktop. Well it does, but only in the server space and areas where you need alot of heavy os customization. Servers, Embeded and supercomputing or High performance computing server farms. Linux does very well there. On the desktop however. Its not a competition.

if so, i wouldn't necessarily consider this a problem, but, i can completely understand why you think linux will never become a major competing desktop or mobile os. linux does need some cleaning up to do but it definitely has plenty of potential to compete with windows. i'm not really sure what you meant by the linux "look and feel" because there isn't one. part of what makes linux so unique (in a good and bad way) is it does whatever you want, however you want it to.
    Well, since 99% of the computing market is full of computer and code illiterate people. thats whats killing linux. Most linux proponents don't want to hear it. there are other operating systems which offer the same freedoms as linux without the fractured development landscape and hodge podge of work around tools.

Its not a strength. Its a weakness becuase no one has stood up to people who insist on needing some silly unque little widget for one application. the linux API is a mess on the desktop. Unifiying the API would good a long way to making more 3rd party developers like adobe get on board with tools like photoshop etc.

as i see it, linux just needs lxde/openbox, gnome, and kde 4 for graphical environments and just 1 distro for each package manager, and each distro will have all 3 major desktop environments. like i said before, too much competition and variety prevents things from getting done. just make everyone work together on 1 big project and there can be a lot of success.
    Linux needs one really good GUI enviroment, it just needs to integrate the best features of each and be done with it.

instead of having all these varieties of different distros, what could be done instead is have meta packages that users can install and automatically gives you the packages that would be desired. so for example, debian could be the core distro for the apt-get package manager and to install ubuntu, you would just install regular debian and then in the installer you would check on "ubuntu".
    Toss the package manager out the window and have a look at what apple is doing with mac, download unzip and run. they grew their market share 20% in the last 5 years. Its working.

thats how linux could really get cleaned up, and easier for everyone.
    thats a good start.

Comment

hmm Michael , what do you mean "even"

"Gallium3D has even been ported to AROS."

your going to have to write a full front page current AROS status write-up now as penance you know that right

wont be long now before the AROS (your lucky the rabid old core AMIGA lads dont seem to care to much about AROS now) and Haiku boys get here

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
        Well, since 99% of the computing market is full of computer and code illiterate people. thats whats killing linux.
        Not as long as these people stay away. Catering for those people would undoubtedly destroy the community and could destroy developers' interest, as well. I hope Linux continues to be perceived as unfriendly, so all that crowd stays out of my lawn.

Toss the package manager out the window and have a look at what apple is doing with mac, download unzip and run.
        ))

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
          Not as long as these people stay away. Catering for those people would undoubtedly destroy the community and could destroy developers' interest, as well. I hope Linux continues to be perceived as unfriendly, so all that crowd stays out of my lawn.

))
          yeah god forbid linux had a user base to fund its development and use. I mean could you imagine a world dominated by linux with opensource hardware drives etc ?

Wow it would certainly be the worst thing ever.

Comment

yeah god forbid linux had a user base to fund its development and use. I mean could you imagine a world dominated by linux with opensource hardware drives etc ?

are you aware that linux is being developed by companies like novell, sony, ibm, oracle, google, and i think dell, and many others? theres plenty of funds for its development. mostly just stability, drivers, and performance (meaning, not desktop related stuff) but these companies are contributing to the REAL hard parts of linux.

Comment

One of the worst things, right. Linux is advanced and diverse. The only way wide public could use it if it became less advanced and less diverse. Well: screw the wide public!

Comment

I checked Haiku out and took a good look at it. Frankly, I don't see the point. You run the same applications on it that you do on Linux (if they run.) Other than that, it has no way of installing software correctly; no installer architecture and no package manager and it's single user. Something you unzip will stay there and you have to hunt down the files as you did in the MS-DOS days.

There's a start menu of sorts, something that looks like a task manager and weird window decorations that make using the computer very difficult (maximizing, minimizing, resizing, etc.) A bit brain damaged design. But that's just a window manager anyway, no reason to switch OS for that.

I don't see the point. I think people using Haiku are in the same group of people who still use Amigas and Atari STs: nostalgics. I suppose for some it's cool to install something on a PC today that is a clone of BeOS. But other than that, it's just pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I checked Haiku out and took a good look at it. Frankly, I don't see the point. You run the same applications on it that you do on Linux (if they run.) Other than that, it has no way of installing software correctly; no installer architecture and no package manager and it's single user. Something you unzip will stay there and you have to hunt down the files as you did in the MS-DOS days.

There's a start menu of sorts, something that looks like a task manager and weird window decorations that make using the computer very difficult (maximizing, minimizing, resizing, etc.) A bit brain damaged design. But that's just a window manager anyway, no reason to switch OS for that.

I don't see the point. I think people using Haiku are in the same group of people who still use Amigas and Atari STs: nostalgics. I suppose for some it's cool to install something on a PC today that is a clone of BeOS. But other than that, it's just pointless.
                  thats exactly what i was trying to say in my very first post (which is also the first post after the article itself) and then people got pissed at me.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
                    One of the worst things, right. Linux is advanced and diverse. The only way wide public could use it if it became less advanced and less diverse. Well: screw the wide public! :)
                    this is why linux will not suceed on desktop.

Comment

this is why linux will not suceed on desktop.
                      Quite the opposite. This is why it is so successful that I enjoy using it.

Comment

Working...
                      X