No announcement yet.

Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Is Speeding Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More specifically, is there anything going into the Gallium3D code that would optimize CPU T&L?

(Really, there's barely any point in even having an edit button if edits aren't allowed after 1 minute.)

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
      More specifically, is there anything going into the Gallium3D code that would optimize CPU T&L?
      Sure, take a look at the Draw module.

Comment

If you build mesa with llvm support, the draw module will use llvm which will improve vertex performance significantly for non-TCL chips like the rs4xx and rs6xx radeon chips (when using r300g).

Comment

As with most opensource software, the driver stack is lacking manpower and is driven either by hobbists, not companies directly, or by companies like it is a hobby.

But look at broadcom, they are writing their own opensource drivers yay!
          Why? Because they didn t notice before linux was any significant.

What does any graphical company do to calculate if they manpower behind drivers matching real world usage? Nothing.

Comment

Most computers are sold via OEMs. The way to get better open source support for particular hardware is to convince your OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) that's it's important to you. The OEMs then work with their vendors (AMD, Intel, Broadcom, etc.) when designing systems.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Most computers are sold via OEMs. The way to get better open source support for particular hardware is to convince your OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) that's it's important to you. The OEMs then work with their vendors (AMD, Intel, Broadcom, etc.) when designing systems.
              agd5f, I have built around 30 PCs. Almost all for free, for my friends. I have purchased the parts. Nothing from OEM. Every time I install windows, I register it, so microsoft knows what I use. Microsoft also gathers Serial Numbers from hardware - this is good proof the hardware is using windows.

What do companies do to get information if their products are used in linux? Nothing.

OEM are limiting the choices.
              In cases of huge contract, the preinstalled operating system is selected by purchaser ANYWAYS.
              In case of normal private purchase, the operating system is reinstalled in 50% cases because of massive ad garbage. There is no reason to motivate OEM.
              Manufacturers should get info where their products are used and care about own drivers. Linux is not a hobby anymore.

This and stricter more organized control (as in modularity, transparency and adherence to roadmap) over Xorg, Kernel and GCC may save Linux from becoming garbage polluted, overpatched, backdoor hobby project unsupported by many.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                agd5f, I have built around 30 PCs. Almost all for free, for my friends. I have purchased the parts. Nothing from OEM.
                In most cases you didn't buy the parts directly from the chip maker. You bought a motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte who in turn bought the chips on board from the actual chip makers. You bought a video card from HIS or Sapphire or xfx, etc. In your case, those are the OEMs for your systems. Those OEMs buy parts from chip makers and are the ones who influence what kinds of support or features they would like. Most likely broadcom released an open source driver due to requests from OEMs who were buying their chips. Like it or not, OEMs buy the vast majority of chips produced and have a lot of influence.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  You bought a motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte who in turn bought the chips on board from the actual chip makers.
                  Sorry, you mean THAT OEMs. In that case yes.
                  I've been reaching skies on GPUs here, talking with Gigabyte about their inclosed in .EXE BIOSen(no more gigabyte for me), RMAing two already opened AIO printers from Kodak for not supporting linux and purchasing two HP instead. Apart from this, everything else works.

But I would be HIGHLY thankfull if AMD provides the way for me to report cards that I purchase as using opensource driver and demanding opensource development. By THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    How about benchmarks on lower end CPUs? The people without usable GPUs/drivers probably don't have i7's.
                    Don't be fooled by that i7. It's a mobile part with about the same performance as an Athlon II X4.

PS: I agree with those that say that the quality of the benchmark articles of Phoronix is very far from what we can see on Anandtech or other similar sites. I would gladly pay the premium subscription if this was more like any of those, but more linux oriented; although I do understand that there's just so much a single person can do, so it's obvious that some things have to suffer in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      PS: I agree with those that say that the quality of the benchmark articles of Phoronix is very far from what we can see on Anandtech or other similar sites. I would gladly pay the premium subscription if this was more like any of those, but more linux oriented; although I do understand that there's just so much a single person can do, so it's obvious that some things have to suffer in this case.
                      Yep, sites like Anandtech and Ars have big staffs while Phoronix is a one man show. So i can understand why Michael doesn't have the time to make it any better. But that's clearly a big differentiation between the sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X