Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Update On The OpenGL 3 Support In Mesa

Phoronix: An Update On The OpenGL 3 Support In Mesa

While the Mesa software stack has made some steps towards supporting OpenGL 3.x, this free software library used by open-source graphics drivers is still a ways from supporting this industry graphics API thats years old and has already been surpassed by OpenGL 4.x. There hasn't been too much major progress lately on GL3 support, but some think it could be achieved next year. When there is OpenGL 3.0 support in Mesa, it will be released as Mesa 8.0. Regardless, the OpenGL 3 status document for Mesa has been updated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GLSL is the main thing that is behind for newer OpenGL support it seems. Also from what I hear S3TC is still a problem due to the patent situation.

Comment

Nice! Maybe they'll catch up proprietary drivers' OpenGL support in about 2/3 years (If it doesn't appear a new OpenGL version until there...). But right now, Mesa is still a bit limited in some 3D OpenGL support...

Cheers!

Comment

off topic a bit

for such an important project in the Open Source ecosystem (from Linux to Haiku) Mesa/Gallium seems to me that it needs ALOT more people getting payed hacking features in it (state trackers etc)

and i don't think many companies put money in that part of Open Source

Comment

I guess this just proves that the argument of "if you give out docs, people will implement the features" of some Free Software lunatics is just wrong.

No one's going to code it in time. Money is still needed.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I guess this just proves that the argument of "if you give out docs, people will implement the features" of some Free Software lunatics is just wrong.

No one's going to code it in time. Money is still needed.
            Erm, this post is an example of people implementing something because they have the docs. This has nothing to do with "free software lunatics" or any ideology, this has to do with multiple issues including expertise (the kind of things we're talking about are not particularly mainstream) and time (the the developers who focus on this have other things on their plate).

Though I'm not sure of anyone who says money doesn't help or is irrelevant, only that it is not the only motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
              Nice! Maybe they'll catch up proprietary drivers' OpenGL support in about 2/3 years (If it doesn't appear a new OpenGL version until there...). But right now, Mesa is still a bit limited in some 3D OpenGL support...
              Except there's a new OpenGL version roughly every 6 months, as of late.

The new compiler infrastructure should hopefully make it a lot easier to bring newer GLSL version online, at least.

Comment

This was in response to various people claiming that the Linux driver model of requiring hardware vendors to open source their drivers and put them in the kernel is a good idea. When vendors don't do that, the next claim is that it's enough for them to open up their docs so that "the community will code the drivers and features."

It doesn't look that way. Proprietary drivers support GL3 for ages now, while the open driver stack is still based on old, outdated specs. IMO this is proof enough that the Linux driver model is wrong and its supporters too. Otherwise the open graphics stack would have been feature complete years ago.

Comment

You'd think the existence of the 'open graphics stack' would be all the refutation required but apparently no.

Comment

Haters gonna hate.

Comment

Working...
                    X