Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct3D 10/11 Is Now Natively Implemented On Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luca used one of the DDK headers for documentation purposes - he definitely didn't just copy it. Howerer, the mere fact that he viewed it is making the WINE developers nervous, because they have very strict rules about such things.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Luca used one of the DDK headers for documentation purposes - he definitely didn't just copy it. Howerer, the mere fact that he viewed it is making the WINE developers nervous, because they have very strict rules about such things.
      Is it a crime to read documentation and manuals?

Comment

• What I would like to see, honestly, is a community-driven "Long Peaks" development based on Gallium. Not a copy of DirectX (which, legal or not, is going to run into massive amounts of resistance) but something without OpenGL's supposed limitations.

Define a new API, document it, put it up as a specification anyone can use, and go from there. Who knows, the console vendors (other than Microsoft) and the handheld vendors (again, other than Microsoft) might actually fall in love with a modern graphics standard that Kronos isn't willing to give us.

Take the _idea_ of what DirectX does right, but not the actual API. For shaders, I'd just use GLSL unless there's a very pressing reason not to (there is nothing inherently more powerful about HLSL than GLSL, to my knowledge, but graphics are not my specialty so maybe I'm wrong). Build a reference implementation on top of Gallium3D, put out a well-defined spec, and go from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
          Sure.

Comment

No, but the fact that it was a header file means that MS lawyers could potentially call it code. And even though it's almost certain any lawsuit would go nowhere, WINE isn't interested in taking even that much risk. Therefore, they have very strict rules with no exceptions, to make sure no one ever even comes close to a grey area.

Comment

Looking? No.
              Using? In some cases.

Comment

• ... and the only generally accepted *proof* that you didn't use it is if you can claim you never saw it in the first place.
                Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                  Not sure what you mean by the background movements in the industry, though.

Heh... Stuff I get told in confidence and can't disclose any of the details thereof as it'd get my contacts in trouble...

Yeah, I know that doesn't count as proof. But what I've been shown corroborates this- and just because it's a power point slide, it WAS the one MS led with and they DO have a better handle than many on just how much "incursion" into the market we actually have. If you want other proof go digging through the Comes stuff- they give out similar figures in that mountain of actual Discovery documents from MS.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoreddit View Post
                    I was a bit disappointed when I began reading this article and found uncovered spot on bottom middle. http://i.imgur.com/gPB2m.jpg
                    Heh... Use AdBlocker Plus. You can explicitly filter just the offending pop-up crap out.

Comment

• Vista/7? Or even worse; themes?

Why in the hell... ?

Comment

Working...
                      X