Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct3D 10/11 Is Now Natively Implemented On Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    Wow, this commit is huge. Will see how good it will be.

    I still do not see why it is superior to the OpenGL API in terms of clean code or performance. But I actually do not know DX11 very well at all.

    But this also opens a way to use gallium as native DX drivers under windows, and virtualizing 3D of emulated Windows. Was there any testes on Windows with it? With native drivers maybe?

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      If the games are developed with the standard DX10/11 API calls then the game should run on Wine. Game developers should take advantage of this to create games that can be run cross platform, even though NATIVE Linux games are preferred.

      Once there's a well defined wine graphics stack then there should be the matter of performance...minimize the performance hit and you'll have games run just as smoothly (if not even more smooth) on linux as they do on Windows
      Games should be developed on OpenGL, which was in first place made for crossplatform support. Or microsoft should make DirectX as open, as OpenGL is. Which they wont do. Because they want all game developers and all game titles and all hardware be dependant on the standart they propose. Which means WINE in no way a solution for opensource stack or a standard to be targeted. It is a serious threat if developers see WINE as some kind of Linux "compatibility" layer. A very serious threat.

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        (a) OpenGL has been abandoned technology since 2005 or so. What's the last AAA OpenGL title you saw?
        (b) Who said anything about abandoning OpenGL anyway? Having both available does not mean abandoning.
        (c) D3D won't be MS-exclusive once Linux supports it, will it?
        (a)OpenGL4 is up
        (b)The more you use DirectX the less you use OpenGL. Its about maximizing profit and minimizing release time on game development.
        (c)Untill MS exclusively sues linux layer developers to remove it or takes de-facto ownership of all Linux/BSD/Mac/Unix 3D.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          (a)OpenGL4 is up
          (b)The more you use DirectX the less you use OpenGL. Its about maximizing profit and minimizing release time on game development.
          (c)Untill MS exclusively sues linux layer developers to remove it or takes de-facto ownership of all Linux/BSD/Mac/Unix 3D.
          (a) You didn't answer my question. Name a single AAA OpenGL game please.
          (b) Obviously, considering that Direct3D is the better programming API. Long Peaks might have changed that, but Khronos backed off before it was complete.
          (c) MS taking de facto ownership of 3D wouldn't be such a bad thing, considering how awful the 3d stacks on Linux/BSD/Mac/Unix are.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by baryluk View Post
            Wow, this commit is huge. Will see how good it will be.

            I still do not see why it is superior to the OpenGL API in terms of clean code or performance. But I actually do not know DX11 very well at all.

            But this also opens a way to use gallium as native DX drivers under windows, and virtualizing 3D of emulated Windows. Was there any testes on Windows with it? With native drivers maybe?
            What was meant in the article was that this implementation of Direct3D in Gallium is better written, and easier to maintain than the classic(ie non-gallium) implementation of OpenGL in the classic MESA branch.

            There was no comparison in this article made however to the Gallium implementation of OpenGL 1/2. Most likely Because OpenGL 3/4 are more contemporary to DirectX 10/11 of which there there is no Gallium implementation, only halfway working classic support.

            Comment


            • #56
              This is exciting. If this works like you say in the article, it could really change the OS landscape on the desktop completely.

              Games are the no 1 reason Windows dominate. And lack of proper gsming support is the one thing keeping Linux away of mainstream. If Linux could game right, it could have 90% marketshare yesterday...

              This is big. Linux developers should embrace this and do everything they can to polish it as soon as possible. This is the key solution to many problems for the Linux desktop, directly and indirectly, and needs to be top priority.

              Exciting times are ahead of us.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Games should be developed on OpenGL, which was in first place made for crossplatform support. Or microsoft should make DirectX as open, as OpenGL is. Which they wont do. Because they want all game developers and all game titles and all hardware be dependant on the standart they propose. Which means WINE in no way a solution for opensource stack or a standard to be targeted. It is a serious threat if developers see WINE as some kind of Linux "compatibility" layer. A very serious threat.
                DirectX is not a graphics api. Direct3d/2d is. DirectX is a general multimedia api that covers graphics sound and input. This uniform coverage (and relatively constant pace development) is the reason that games are developed in it . Why have separate sdks for input sound and graphics when you don't need to? Another benefit is the relative ease in porting to and from the xbox.

                Granted, these days console games (multiplatform ones) need to target direct3d of the xbox and oglEs in the wii and ps3.

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  (a) You didn't answer my question. Name a single AAA OpenGL game please.
                  (b) Obviously, considering that Direct3D is the better programming API. Long Peaks might have changed that, but Khronos backed off before it was complete.
                  (c) MS taking de facto ownership of 3D wouldn't be such a bad thing, considering how awful the 3d stacks on Linux/BSD/Mac/Unix are.
                  (a) OpenGL and DirectX are RENDER APIs. They have NOTHING to do with games. Ask John Carmack if you wish more details, as well as check differences between Quake 4 dx and opengl rendertargets.

                  (b) Direct3D is worser programing API, because it is hardware layer in essence, where OpenGL is a environiment. But it does not matter as they are wrapped in as render backends in the end.

                  (c) I can very seriously image you being windows troll. Running windows is not a bad thing either? What have you forgot on phoronix?? Please go troll back to windows.com. And direct your suggestions on how to improve opengl stack is to nvidia/amd driver developers please.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    If people are so excited about using D3D (something thoroughly controlled by Microsoft), then go use Windows. Trying to implement the API under Linux will always be a catchup game, and simply make Windows seem better.
                    If you want cross platform gaming, wine and D3D are not the way. OpenGL or software renderers are. There's a reason the embedded community are using OpenGLES instead of anything else.
                    So again, this news is exciting for wine, and open source drivers that are able to match proprietary ones for performance, but there's nothing much beyond that.
                    As to if D3D is a better API than OpenGL, well ETQW runs just fine, Rage3D looks great, and the workstation market will likely have a disinterested expression in this whole thread.

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                      DirectX is not a graphics api. Direct3d/2d is. DirectX is a general multimedia api that covers graphics sound and input. This uniform coverage (and relatively constant pace development) is the reason that games are developed in it . Why have separate sdks for input sound and graphics when you don't need to? Another benefit is the relative ease in porting to and from the xbox.

                      Granted, these days console games (multiplatform ones) need to target direct3d of the xbox and oglEs in the wii and ps3.
                      Yes, I know that Direct3D is for gfx only, fyi Direct2D is non-existant. The reason I mentioned MS should open them together is obvious - barely any game uses WDM for sound output. The whole stack needs to be opened to be considered complete. Just opening Direct3D is not enought, no one uses it in games alone.

                      On the question regarding separate SDKs - it is a matter of personal preference. But separated, crossplatform and open is way better than monolithic, single targeted and proprietary.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X