Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct3D 10/11 Is Now Natively Implemented On Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    I have a general question concerning the Gallium infrastructure.

What makes a Gallium driver *capable* of running a general state tracker,
    i.e. OpenCL, OpenVG, Cairo or this DirectX10+ st and other state trackers
    that already exist or will exist in the (near?) future? Is this requirement different
    from the bare G3D OpenGL driver?
    Afaik the r300g driver is considered rather advanced and does shiny things already
    - how close is it to a general Gallium driver? Or is it that such a driver simply cannot
    not exist and would always require more or less new work to support new state trackers?

To be honest I feel completely lost here.

I'd really like to see a roundup about the current situation of state trackers and the drivers.
    To answer you shortly. AFAIK the state_tracker uses different states of a graphic pipeline and the TGSI shader language to implement different things in e.g. a OpenGL or another state_tracker.

Every g3d hardware drivers should be able to handle TGSI shader language and different states common in a graphic pipeline.

So when you use a state_tracker, it just hooks itself to a hardware-driver able to use TGSI and different states. This will able different state_trackers work on different g3d hardware drivers.

Developers, please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      So why is it important to implement things that will do nothing useful and potentially convince MS to litigate?
      Because that's how open-source software works. Linus implemented a thing that was not all that useful back then - we all know how that turned out.

Besides, (a) D3D is superior to OpenGL in every conceivable way and (b) you cannot sue someone for implementing an API, much less a public one.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        D3D9 is sufficiently different that it would need its own state tracker. I seem to recall someone writing a D3D9 state tracker for fun. He posted on these forums, too.
        I really hope that he will implement direct3d 9 then. Otherwise it wouldn't be usable with a lot of games through wine.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I thouht that the "?" was being replaced by "ss" in the german language?
          No, "Ma? (Bier)" is correct. You can in some cases write "Mass", if there is no "?" available, but "Ma?" is the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            I really hope that he will implement direct3d 9 then. Otherwise it wouldn't be usable with a lot of games through wine.
            That's a secondary (tertiary) issue. Wine works more or less fine with D3D9 right now, it's D3D10/11 it cannot do at all. Besides, wine is unlikely to use this in the foreseeable future.

Comment

The praises being heaped upon D3D10 may be true, but even if they are, I can't get behind them, or D3D, as long as it is not a Free and Open standard.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                As stated in the commit message of this little(not so) peace of software jewelery, D3D9 is much more complex to add. It differs too much from Gallium3D, and is not considered a clean API.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  I thouht that the "?" was being replaced by "ss" in the german language?
                  No, it isn't.

There was a reform which brought consistency in when it should be spelled as "?" and when "ss", so the spelling of some words changed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Besides, (a) D3D is superior to OpenGL in every conceivable way
                    Especially in the monopolistic way that kills alternative platforms.

Comment

The only problem is that Wine can't use it, because it isn't available on all platforms that Wine supports...

It was the same thing with that D3D9 tracker... Perhaps they can use it optionally, but they will always have to have their own implementation in Wine...

Comment

Working...
                      X