Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct3D 10/11 Is Now Natively Implemented On Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kazade View Post
    The DDK is from MS.
    Uhm, the commit message says:

    "Independently created headers for Direct3D 10, 10.1, 11 and DXGI 1.1, partially based on the existing Wine headers for D3D10 and DXGI 1.0"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kazade View Post
      The DDK is from MS.
      The new Gallium-based Direct3D implementation doesn't use any DDK code.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Plombo View Post
        Building an OpenGL stack on top of D3D would be anything but an improvement over the existing approach.
        Not every hardware support OpenGL in the same perfection as they support Direct3D.
        All graphics card companies, employ more work improving their Directx support than improving OpenGL, because their costumers care more about D3D applications than OpenGL.
        So if we can use D3D stack to improve OpenGL, we can support more hardware.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Uhm, the commit message says:

          "Independently created headers for Direct3D 10, 10.1, 11 and DXGI 1.1, partially based on the existing Wine headers for D3D10 and DXGI 1.0"
          Yeah, I'm not sure what he's on about.

          But the big problem with this is that is uses Microsoft's HSLS compiler for compiling shaders. It actually downloads an executable, instead of using its own code (which it will need to eventually to ever be useful)


          Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
          Not every hardware support OpenGL in the same perfection as they support Direct3D.
          All graphics card companies, employ more work improving their Directx support than improving OpenGL, because their costumers care more about D3D applications than OpenGL.
          So if we can use D3D stack to improve OpenGL, we can support more hardware.
          That's not entirely true - most CAD software, a heap of software for film including compositing, grading, vfx apps, CG applications and so on use OpenGL, and those sell the really expensive cards, so there is a lot of work that goes into the OpenGL support that trickles right down the line (look at how fast nVidia supported OpenGL 4 in their binary driver, for instance.)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I can't find anything that claim it's using MS code.
            If I understand everything correctly, Luca Barbieri have read (following advice from msdn) d3d11TokenizedProgramFormat.h (from Microsofts DDK) and used shader and effect formats available there to make different implementation of DX10/DX11.

            Henri Verbeet claims that this kind of use of this particular header (DDK) might open Wine project or people involed to the legal action from Microsoft. He also claims that reading or using new implementation might have similar consequences.

            Apparently he is not willing to take any risk in this situation.

            I did my best to assure accuracy of this post, please correct it if something is not right.

            Comment


            • Why not contact Microsoft about this issue? Do it by physical mail and phonecall. Archive the phonecall by means of recording.

              If Microsoft sais: "You are not allowed to do that", then too bad. At least you tried.
              If Microsoft sais: "It's no problem; we will not sue you", then that's evidence.

              If Microsoft were to ever sue anyone, or present the project with a takedown notice, then Microsoft can get the best lawyers on the planet, but the case will be dismissed before you can say "anti trust".

              I am not a lawyer, so for be sure to contact one for details.

              Comment


              • Never underestimate the dirty tricks Microsoft plays, or is willing to play. This is why the Wine folk are quite stubborn about staying well clear of any possible, however remote, problem.

                Comment


                • PS: If Microsoft sais no then blow it up in the media. Slashdot and the European Union for all I care. This will spark a great deal of pressure and it will make Microsoft bow either way.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Never underestimate the dirty tricks Microsoft plays, or is willing to play. This is why the Wine folk are quite stubborn about staying well clear of any possible, however remote, problem.
                    Dirty, but legal. Microsoft is a company with very smart people. No matter how you look at it; they have to stay within the boundaries of the law.

                    Legal permission is legal permission. They can do whatever they want, but legal permission is unbeatable.

                    Comment


                    • Is the new code, a reversed-engineered version of MS code? Or, is it sneaked in from Ole MS?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X