LLVMpipe rocks :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbios View Post
    Impressive. It is stable? I mean, if you use it for say KWin effects you get an usable desktop? Thanks
    I don't know because kde 4.5 desktop effects need some hacks to work with Intel cards, so I still not tested it with LLVMpipe.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Jit compiling shaders is done on the soundcard?
      We were comparing CPU vs GPU - or did you have something else in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Any application stressing the CPU would be instantly noticeable in the GUI.
        We were comparing CPU vs GPU - or did you have something else in mind?
        Where does the GPU driver run?

Comment

Still not sure what you mean?

My point was that llvmpipe is a pure software renderer, even simple GL stresses the CPU pretty hard - using a compositing manager driven by llvmpipe wouldn't leave much room to do anything else. Power usage is also quite likely to be a major issue compared to doing it on the GPU.

Comment

I use kde 4.5. Its compositor do work only with proprietary drivers because it makes use of opengl2 extensions still not supported by open drivers. So I simply do not use it at all and I don't know if it works with LLVMpipe. Anyway kwin 4.4 should run quite well even with llvmpipe.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              I use kde 4.5. Its compositor do work only with proprietary drivers because it makes use of opengl2 extensions still not supported by open drivers. So I simply do not use it at all and I don't know if it works with LLVMpipe. Anyway kwin 4.4 should run quite well even with llvmpipe.
              Sorry, my previous post was a reply to Vincent.

Comment

I tested Extreme Tux Racer and Torcs (same specs as above) and both were nearly playable at 10-15 fps depending on resolution. That's strange, but it seems llvmpipe's speed depends only on resolution, and not on the number of objects/detail/filtering. Anyone can explain this?

Comment

-> -_- -> >.< ->
                  Oh jesus....

If an app stresses the CPU then the CPU won't have so much time for the GPU driver and thus it will also be noticeable on the GUI.

You're the most horrible troll on the planet

Comment

We're talking about _llvmpipe_ - a software rasterizer. Think of it as an emulated graphics card, the GPU does not enter in to it.

Comment

And I must say, being called a troll when all I do is trying to figure out what your point was... isn't nice.

I don't mind being wrong, there's always an opportunity to learn something new, but I really want to know what it is that I'm wrong about?

Comment

Working...
                      X