More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    Well were a driver say's "Hey yeh I can do that" when asked but actually can't reliably then I guess that's why he has the blacklist.
    You know, it's also possible he's trying to ask the driver to do the thing it advertises in a little bit standards-incompliant way and it doesn't work the same on all drivers. This is why we need tests and then making sure those tests are actually standards-compliant.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      You know, it's also possible he's trying to ask the driver to do the thing it advertises in a little bit standards-incompliant way and it doesn't work the same on all drivers. This is why we need tests and then making sure those tests are actually standards-compliant.
      And I believe Marek pointed to that as a posibability but again this points to the need for a base of people with a wide variety of hardware to actually test stuff and provide quality bug reports which is one of the things Martin was asking for. He said he's got a particular hardware platform on which to code, and therefore it's required to be in a stable state. Therefore he himself isn't in the best position to be breaking his system by running various random git snapshots. He felt that there should be plenty of users prepared to do this testing and provide information back to him and that sounds reasonable to me.

If he's prepared to provide his labour for free and code stuff, and there's people who want to the fruits of that labour the least they can do is lend a hand and test the stuff and provide quality bug reports.

When you buy Windows you pay Microsoft money and are in a position to demand a certain quality in return for that payment.

When you download KDE for free the deal is a little different.

Comment

• Yeah but my point was that a blacklist is a no-no if you want the bugs to actually come up in user testing.

Comment

• Originally posted by tball View Post
          Could be the dbus bug?
          No, dbus causes Dolphin to crash on some configurations. Maybe some other apps are affected too.

Comment

Yeah but my point was that a blacklist is a no-no if you want the bugs to actually come up in user testing.
            Thankfully he provided a method to disable the blacklist for those prepared to test.

Comment

Yeah but my point was that a blacklist is a no-no if you want the bugs to actually come up in user testing.
              Also without that blacklist the more novice users would be in even more uproar.

Comment

Also without that blacklist the more novice users would be in even more uproar.
                Maybe that uproar could in fact be directed to bug trackers to get things found out sooner?

Comment

Maybe that uproar could in fact be directed to bug trackers to get things found out sooner?
                  Only if they were prepared to get over their own anger and channel their energy towards the bug trackers.

Comment

Only if they were prepared to get over their own anger and channel their energy towards the bug trackers.
                    Meh, you can write perfectly working first attempts at bug reports while infuriated. Just have to get back at it after a day or two when you're calmed down to get the specifics right.

Comment

• Originally posted by tball View Post
                      Hmm I tried archlinux the other day with the same result as with kubuntu. So I guess it is just my hardware combination. Well I will stay with gnome for now, because of the more fluid work environment.

I hope kde will someday be as good as compiz on my hardware / drivers, because I really enjoy programming QT / kde applications. Even if I am using gnome, I develop for the QT framework.
                      Or you can just use Compiz + KDE. I used to do that for a number of years. Worked like a charm.

KWin is only a small part of KDE after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X