No announcement yet.

More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I share the desire for a clean system. I install things that I use, and don't install things that I don't use. It saves me lots of trouble while managing the system and it is safer from exploits because you don't have lots of unneeded software running.

That said, I have GTK+, and all the needed additional libraries (such as Pango and friends) installed and don't mind them. It's an alternative toolkit, and a good one at that. If I have a choice, I'll usually go for the Qt/KDE program, but there are some fantastic apps which are GTK-based, and I use them happily (like GIMP and Inkscape, sometimes Gnumeric).

But what I don't want is hundreds of services running in parallel doing exactly the same thing. I don't need two message-passing frameworks (thank heavens for dbus!), I don't need three audio daemons, four desktop indexing daemons, two semantic tagging frameworks, three different personal information stores, and what not, each servicing a different application.

I only want ONE of each, as a sane desktop will only use ONE of each, and use them everywhere. This stuff will not get installed, and apps which depend on them will not get installed either. I like the KDE technologies in this respect (dbus, kioslaves, akonadi, etc.) and use them where I need to (desktop search+tagging is off, don't need that). Luckily, the GTK-based apps I use (like Inkscape and GIMP) don't really depend on any of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      I like consistency and I try to keep my system clean. It makes me sick when I have to dowload some pile of junk just for a single application.
      Nice. Why don't you say that to Mono, Python, Vala developers, that all their products are just junk?

Not every tool is suitable for every application, and besides, each developer is accustomed to specific tools and having a big set to choose lowers the difficulty to contribute. A small part of HDD is a small price to pay for that.

You are seriously so much ignorant that you are bordeline trollish, and i am the one that had a post deleted...

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        I share the desire for a clean system. I install things that I use, and don't install things that I don't use. It saves me lots of trouble while managing the system and it is safer from exploits because you don't have lots of unneeded software running.

That said, I have GTK+, and all the needed additional libraries (such as Pango and friends) installed and don't mind them. It's an alternative toolkit, and a good one at that. If I have a choice, I'll usually go for the Qt/KDE program, but there are some fantastic apps which are GTK-based, and I use them happily (like GIMP and Inkscape, sometimes Gnumeric).

But what I don't want is hundreds of services running in parallel doing exactly the same thing. I don't need two message-passing frameworks (thank heavens for dbus!), I don't need three audio daemons, four desktop indexing daemons, two semantic tagging frameworks, three different personal information stores, and what not, each servicing a different application.

I only want ONE of each, as a sane desktop will only use ONE of each, and use them everywhere. This stuff will not get installed, and apps which depend on them will not get installed either. I like the KDE technologies in this respect (dbus, kioslaves, akonadi, etc.) and use them where I need to (desktop search+tagging is off, don't need that). Luckily, the GTK-based apps I use (like Inkscape and GIMP) don't really depend on any of that stuff.
        Pal, your level of knowledge is so low that i no longer wonder why you support KDE...

Just because you have software installed, doesn't mean it is *running*, or listening to requests.

And just because you have another desktop environment installed, doesn't mean its processes are running when you are using *another* desktop envrionment...

For God's sake, learn some stuff before you write...

Comment

Templar, stop trolling.

It's incredible what this thread has turned into. The situation is quite simple, really:

- Mesa advertises features that are known to be broken. The driver guys should think about this
          - The communication between the KWin team and the Mesa team was not really good in this case. All the devs should think about this instead of pointing fingers.

I mean, it's obvious that someone would march in here with a prepared "KDE=SATAN!" diatribe, but it's just a friggin optional eye-candy plugin, and you have to manually disable the blacklist to even run it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            1. It is a different thing an app crushing, and a different thing a window manager crushing...

2. If you believe KDE is less bloated, then you are wasting everyone's time here... Get back to school. BTW, having an additional set of libraries doesn't make a system bloated, but i won't waste my time trying to explain it to you.
            Compiz is crashing sometimes too. I didn't saw Metacity or Kwin (without compositions) crashing. If you would be so kind and explain this I'd be thankfull. However, I really believe KDE is much less bloated. I don't like the idea - python everywhere. KDE apps share libraries and I'm not so sure about this when comes to Gnome.

Comment

Pal, your level of knowledge is so low that i no longer wonder why you support KDE...

Just because you have software installed, doesn't mean it is *running*, or listening to requests.

And just because you have another desktop environment installed, doesn't mean its processes are running when you are using *another* desktop envrionment...

For God's sake, learn some stuff before you write...
              Dude, please read a book and ask your daddy before you use his computer again.

Just look at the output of ps before writing about things you don't understand. I'm running Kubuntu at work, under KDE, no GNOME apps at all, but I still have gconfd, gnome-screensaver, gnome-keyring-daemon and others running. Plus all the KDE stuff, plus dbus, which is shared. I don't need this jungle on my home computer.

On top of this, if I launch a GNOME app which depends on Mono, then I'm susceptible to any vulnerabilities in Mono. Plus, it will start other services it needs if they aren't already running.

Seriously, learn more programming and less attitude. You're a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Compiz is crashing sometimes too. I didn't saw Metacity or Kwin (without compositions) crashing. If you would be so kind and explain this I'd be thankfull. However, I really believe KDE is much less bloated. I don't like the idea - python everywhere. KDE apps share libraries and I'm not so sure about this when comes to Gnome.
                KDE uses python in many places, most notably Plasma.

It's a very nice programming language IMHO. Far better than Mono and actually Free.

Comment

Nice. Why don't you say that to Mono, Python, Vala developers, that all their products are just junk?
                  It's simple. When I use KDE then Gnome apps are junks, but when I use Gnome KDE apps are junks.

Not every tool is suitable for every application, and besides, each developer is accustomed to specific tools and having a big set to choose lowers the difficulty to contribute. A small part of HDD is a small price to pay for that.

You are seriously so much ignorant that you are bordeline trollish, and i am the one that had a post deleted...
                  I'm not an ignorant, but I'm a KDE user, so I don't get why Gnome is so inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    KDE uses python in many places, most notably Plasma.

It's a very nice programming language IMHO. Far better than Mono and actually Free.
                    From my experience python is installed with some graphic related libraries and not with Plasma. In example, when I install Gwenview then python is one of the dependencies. I have nothing against Python, but when it's used where it fits the best. I just don't want to have so many applications dependent on it, because those apps are probably using more RAM then non Python (and non mono, java apps). I prefer Python over Mono of course.

Comment

Oh gee, kraftman appears and the thread is derailed to a desktop environment trollfest. Why am I not surprised?

Comment

Working...
                      X