X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well there's an algorithm for that:
    1. Pick your favorite: KDE or Gnome;
    2. Bash the other DE to get rid of your anger (For example: "Gnome doesn't have fallback, lol fscking FAIL DE" <- and you'd be right);
    3. Defend your DE from incomming critisism;
    4. Go back to step 2.

What surprises me is that nobody from the key players mentions that steps will be undertaken to FIX this composting issue. So I wonder if it will be fixed or...

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      The Kwin developer himself stated that it's not a trivial task, taking him over 1 day to compile.
      Assumably he's compiling all of KDE but a normal user wouldn't need to. Then again, a normal user also wouldn't know how to strip down the build so they don't have to compile everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        So what happens when a new user decides to finally give Linux a try and uses KDE? When things begin to segmentfault on him and desktop begins to crash, he will decide Linux is broken and move to Windows again. In effect, KDE's unstability gives Linux a bad name, and this is something that concerns all os us, KDE users or not...
        What happens when Gnome apps crash? Exactly the same I guess.

So enough of justifying poor development practice just because we are fanbois of a project.

KDE devs were wrong, and let's hope they will change their practices in the future...
        Is this a good practise when I have to bloat my system with mono, python, vala to have my Gnome apps working? What are good development practices in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Is this a good practise when I have to bloat my system with mono, python, vala to have my Gnome apps working? What are good development practices in your opinion?
          If you're doing embedded, I understand the concern. Otherwise pretty much a useless concern, hard disk space costs about nothing these days.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            My dbus is up-to-date, unlike KDE fanbois like you i use a real distro...ArchLinux.
            Then you're affected by dbus bug. It will be fixed in the next release afaik. I'm also using Arch and I'm not affected.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
              What surprises me is that nobody from the key players mentions that steps will be undertaken to FIX this composting issue. So I wonder if it will be fixed or...
              I'm not a 'key player', but the problem is incomplete features and bugs being exposed. The graphics stack (ignoring GPU specific drivers) isn't done yet.

It's a matter of time as people are simply making it all work. It's shiny, it's new. If you run the bleeding edge, then expect it to be sharp and bleedy

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                If you're doing embedded, I understand the concern. Otherwise pretty much a useless concern, hard disk space costs about nothing these days.
                I like consistency and I try to keep my system clean. It makes me sick when I have to dowload some pile of junk just for a single application.

Comment

Though to be honest, it's perfectly possible to have a Gnome installation that doesn't need Mono.

Comment

It is sad when forum moderators delete posts just because some babies cry "troll" everytime someone disagrees with them.

I can understand it somewhat, it is easy for a flamewar to errupt, but sometimes people overreact.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      What happens when Gnome apps crash? Exactly the same I guess.

1. It is a different thing an app crushing, and a different thing a window manager crushing...

2. If you believe KDE is less bloated, then you are wasting everyone's time here... Get back to school. BTW, having an additional set of libraries doesn't make a system bloated, but i won't waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X