More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since when can you demand wishes for free software

I read the not all commands but the first 2 oder 3 sites and the last 2 sites.

I hope I got this right:
    1. the developers use Debian (Stable?)
    2. they demand that there should all work perfectly with all drivers
    3. they have no time to install a newer distri and write bug reports, but for writing big Flameposts.

How comes this demanding positioning? I don?t demand that KDE is very stable and usable at all. And I had to write such a flame Post by myself if I would. Did I miss something, does this Kde guy or the Kde-project pay them any money?
    They really use Nvidia-blobs on Nvidia-cards and pay Nvidia therefor that they not support opensource and Mesa, and demand then the Mesa guys that they get all working perfectly?
    Is this guy totaly nuts?

Comment

Kmenu slugginess is probably related to disk access times, rather than driver performance - which is why it goes away after a couple of clicks. Maybe it offers a way to preload itself on startup? (Some other menus do, e.g. gnomenu, and it does make a difference).

Kwin does seem slightly more resource intensive than compiz. The difference is probably small but it used to be visible on my severely underpowered 8400M (using nvidia drivers), where compiz was visibly faster than either kwin or clutter.

Comment

(sorry I just woke up, and edit time was to short, here is the "edited" version of my post)

I read not all posts here, but the first 2 or 3 sites and the last 2 sites.

I hope I got this right:
        3. they have no time to install a newer distri and write bug reports, but for writing big flame articels.

How comes this demanding positioning? I don?t demand that KDE is very stable and usable at all. And I had to write such a flame Post by myself if I would. Did I miss something, does this Kde guy or the Kde-project pay them any money?
        They really use Nvidia-blobs on Nvidia-cards and pay Nvidia there for that they not support opensource and Mesa, and demand then the Mesa guys that they get all working perfectly?
        Is this guy totaly nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          I(sorry I just woke up, and edit time was to short, here is the "edited" version of my post)

I read not all posts here, but the first 2 or 3 sites and the last 2 sites.

I hope I got this right:
          3. they have no time to install a newer distri and write bug reports, but for writing big flame articels.

They really use Nvidia-blobs on Nvidia-cards and pay Nvidia there for that they not support opensource and Mesa, and demand then the Mesa guys that they get all working perfectly?
          Is this guy totaly nuts?
          His demands are not totally unreasonable but his tone is just meh. In an ideal world, all drivers implementing OpenGL X.Y would behave identically. Well, we don't live in a perfect world, so we have to test for compatibility and fix problems as they arise.

That said, the tone of his posts is not helpful. I can understand that he is annoyed by driver issues but he should be trying to rally people for help (to test, report and fix bugs) instead of pointing fingers and raising accusations. Mesa developers are *extremely* responsive, all he has to do is reach out to them (not necessarily personally, there are more than enough people willing to test new drivers).

Note that Compiz *did* pass through such a phase a couple of years ago, with driver blacklists, bugs and finger-pointing. Time passed, drivers & compiz matured and it works fine now - as kwin undoubtedly will in the future.

The irony here is that he is looking forward to moving to GL3 so he won't have to suffer from Mesa - as if Nvidia and Ati drivers are perfectly compatible with each other. He will learn better, oh he will.

Edit @blackiwid: consider deleting your previous post!

Comment

If you tell me where the delete button is?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              If you tell me where the delete button is?
              IIRC the edit window presents you with a "delete this post checkbox". You can use that even after the edit window closes.

Edit: just checked, there's a Delete button in the edit window.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Kmenu slugginess is probably related to disk access times, rather than driver performance - which is why it goes away after a couple of clicks. Maybe it offers a way to preload itself on startup? (Some other menus do, e.g. gnomenu, and it does make a difference).

Kwin does seem slightly more resource intensive than compiz. The difference is probably small but it used to be visible on my severely underpowered 8400M (using nvidia drivers), where compiz was visibly faster than either kwin or clutter.
                Well on my system (radeon r700, hd4650), there is a big performance difference between kwin and compiz. Compiz is able to run smooth with my gfx card running in low power-mode, while kwin seems sluggish with my gfx card running in high power-mode.

Comment

But there is no edit button any more I do delete it next time when the editing minute is over

Comment

I can support you on this that mesa developers are very responsible. I wrote a bug report about mesa git head, that something did not work. I got an answer from one of the (for me) famous guys there in few seconds or minutes. In only was some conflicts with old ati glx driver blob files. But the point is the support was very fast, if you install the git drivers, they can obviously not fix the old drivers from a released distrie. They can?t change the past only the future

Comment

• Originally posted by tball View Post
                      Well on my system (radeon r700, hd4650), there is a big performance difference between kwin and compiz. Compiz is able to run smooth with my gfx card running in low power-mode, while kwin seems sluggish with my gfx card running in high power-mode.
                      This is very surprising.

I agree that Compiz is snappier, but my HD4550 has absolutely no problems running common Kwin effects in low power mode.

Comment

Working...
                      X