Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe Still Is Slow At Running OpenGL On The CPU

Phoronix: LLVMpipe Still Is Slow At Running OpenGL On The CPU

Two months ago we published our initial benchmarks of LLVMpipe, the Gallium3D driver that accelerated commands on the CPU rather than any GPU and unlike other Linux software rasterizers is much faster due to leveraging LLVM (the Low-Level Virtual Machine) on the back-end. Since then we have published new ATI Gallium3D driver benchmarks and yesterday put out Nouveau Gallium3D driver benchmarks, so today we are providing updated LLVMpipe driver results to show how well Gallium3D's LLVMpipe driver can accelerate your OpenGL games with a modern processor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should've included the Mesa renderer as well, to see if things have improved there.

Comment

Include Mesa software rasterizer

These results only matter in the context of the Mesa software rasterizer. It doesn't matter how LLVMpipe compares with GPU acceleration, only software. LLVMpipe will always be slower than a GPU accelerated path.

Comment

Mesa software rasterizer numbers should be out soon, using a different system for more tests.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Mesa software rasterizer numbers should be out soon, using a different system for more tests.
          You should run on the same system for an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by kjeremy View Post
            You should run on the same system for an apples to apples comparison.
            It will be an apples to apples comparison as the LLVMpipe is being repeated on that other system.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kjeremy View Post
              These results only matter in the context of the Mesa software rasterizer. It doesn't matter how LLVMpipe compares with GPU acceleration, only software. LLVMpipe will always be slower than a GPU accelerated path.
              I wonder... How much will LLVMpipe's performance be boosted by multi-threading? CPU's are faster than GPU's with single threading. The reason GPU's are faster is because of the extreme parallelization. CPU's are getting more and more cores. Maybe Intel/AMD CPU's will come a lot closer to GPU's in the future? CPU's cut latency a lot, but memory is nevertheless still a problem. The entire cashe design will need a lot of love (not just one big chunck in one place).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                should've waited for that, then...

Comment

llvmpipe uses or will use multi-threading, it might have been already implemented to some extent, not sure.

I believe llvmpipe should be good for playing rather simpler games with the resolution 640x480, not higher. Even if it was 10 times slower than current GPUs (which is nearly impossible considering the number of GFLOPs on CPUs compared to GPUs), it would be the best software rasterizer out there. I think beating some older Intel IGPs in performance is feasible.

I doubt it will be useful for Compiz, I mean you won't be able to use your CPU for something useful when moving a window, really.

Comment

well i posted this already some time ago, swrast in gallium handle kwin composite flawlessly and a max cpu usage in my system of 8%, ok i have a big cpu but is efficient enough for any modern cpu to provide a nice confortable composited experience.

so no it doesnt need 8 core to render a composited desktop or anything like that lol, first test it and the post facts, dont just assume

about gaming michael, well like someone said before the gflops diff is too big to even compare it to a gpu, so dont expect swrast to beat a gpu driver anytime in this century(unless something really big happens in the cpu sector).

so being realistic swrast is a great testing plataform, a life saver boat when your gpu is unsupported but you still want at least composite and nice video performance, IS NOT the ultimate gpu killer and is not meant that way.

now i admit it still can improve a lot but compare it with a gpu accelerated driver is not realistic, ok i admit is cool see something above 3fps using a cpu only, but you cannot say it sucks cuz noveau in a 9800gtx is way faster LOL, in any case compare it against an intel crappy igp

btw push 28 fps cpu only is quite an achievement

Comment

Working...
                    X