• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Bringing The R600 Gallium3D Driver Up To Speed

Bringing The R600 Gallium3D Driver Up To Speed

Phoronix: Bringing The R600 Gallium3D Driver Up To Speed

The R600 Gallium3D driver for ATI Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 graphics cards is not yet in a state for testing by end-users unlike the R300 Gallium3D driver that is running great these days. However, it is slowly getting there...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODIzMw

• whizse
    replied
    Fedora have something slightly similar, the Summer Coding program, maybe some ideas can be borrowed:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010

I guess that a good first step would be to create a nice web site to present the program, explaining the How-Why-What combined with a few testimonials. Then send out some sort of a press release to all the Linux news sites.

I guess this is the sort of thing we, in this community could help to do, but I don't really have the talent to create a blingy site or write it up...

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Xorg could use some PR really, even (IIRC) daniels' email mention that there are jobs hacking X is against the public perception currently.

Leave a comment:

• Hans
    replied
    X.org should create a learning program (irq channel?), were you could go and ask questions and directions were to start if you want to be a Xorg dev.

Leave a comment:

• whizse
    replied
    Slightly off topic, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while...

bridgman, are there any plans from X.org or AMD for a campaign to attract new blood? I'm thinking specifically of the Endless Vacation of Code which could do with a bit more publicity.

Perhaps writing letters to the CS departments of different colleges and universities, presenting the opportunity, would reach the right people? (Especially if it had an AMD letterhead )

(Getting Phoronix to mention EVoC a couple of times couldn't hurt either of course!)

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    Awesome work! Seams like every kernel now have some new and interesting feature!

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Then again, you could hypothesize that since KMS is said to be somewhat more CPU-intensive than UMS at the moment (unless this is obsolete information), it would be very apparent in glxgears since glxgears fps mostly depends on how fast your CPU is.
    I think glxgears is mostly affected by the extra memory copy in the DRI2 paths, rather than by KMS directly. Either way, complaining that gears is a few hundred fps slower is pretty silly. Replicate the slowdown in a real application that is running under 300fps and people might pay attention.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We (AMD and the community developers) send out a consistent message, but once that message has been digested and restated by a half dozen people it doesn't seem to hold up so well.
    Maybe more propaganda towers are needed so people get the message directly? :3

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    I mean what should I think: you write code but you still mention every time that you provide the docs and expect the community to write the actual drivers. So you say something and do a bit of the opposite. Go figure.

I'm _not_ saying you should stop committing. I only think that this causes some confusion
    We're not saying something and doing the opposite, we're saying something and doing *more*

I agree about the confusion, but I don't really know how to address it. We (AMD and the community developers) send out a consistent message, but once that message has been digested and restated by a half dozen people it doesn't seem to hold up so well.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I guess I don't understand how you can ignore Richard's and Cooper's work. Anyone using 3D on 6xx/7xx is using their work, and Richard was working on GLSL right up until the end of last year. If you're saying that anyone not making a public commit every week is "dead to you" I guess that's OK, but I don't understand it.
    In a very active opensource project with lots and lots of developers where everyone's developing pretty much everything and not committing could mean someone else does what you were designing instead that might be an understandable point of view imo. There you could end up dead in the fashion that you never get anything public because someone else does it first. A bit different for this graphics drivers, admittedly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X